Anyone doing sign language with their infant?

I want to start and was wondering ...
what age did you start?
What words did they learn to sign?
How long did it take them to sign the word?

Any info to help me get started would be great.
My daughter is 6 months.

JacobsMommy05

Asked by JacobsMommy05 at 3:10 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did sign language with my daughter. I started at 11 months. We started with more, milk,ball and so on...just simple words. It was amazing how fast she picked up on it. We took a class, which was a waste of money, but it was fun! All of the kids picked up on it very quickly.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 3:24 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I am not sure when we started, around 6-8 months maybe, us showing her the signs and saying what it meant. She could sign a bunch of things like eat, milk, mom, dad, drink, etc.. I can't remember how long it took for her to catch on, it doesn't seem like it took too long though! She is four now, so it's been a while! lol I really think it does help. They can show you what they want without the ability to talk.. I'd say focus on the things they would use/want/need the most and work from there. Good Luck!!
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 3:25 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I was planning on doing it but I got lazy, I even got a booklet on it! My son turned 2 in July. Although I have heard stories from parents who stated that their child "got so used to" using sign language as their language that it actually delayed natural speech process. But than again I never did it and my son is still only only using a few choice words and only when provoked, I am actually taking him for a hearing and speech test as soon as they call me back to make an appt.!!!But than I have also heard that boys often start talking a lot later in life than girls, I don't personally see what sex has to do with speech (but you never know).
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 3:25 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My DD signed around 10 months when she wanted "food" and "more", tried "please" but didn't stick. she is now 18mo and still uses the signs along with the words. I don't know too many signs so we just stuck to basics
    Ameliamomo2

Answer by Ameliamomo2 at 3:48 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My daughter is teaching her 4 month old son using fun videos that he loves to watch.
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 5:54 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I started with mine when they were about 4-5 months old. We used pretty much just basic signs, about 15-20 (more, eat, drink, please, play, bath, etc.). They first signed back about 8-10 months, but with my 4th his first sign was actually 2 at one time (milk please)

Answer by missanc at 8:51 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I started mine around 4 month old...because of their prematurity we did not know if we would have any language delays (only on of our girls did)...We used Signing time videos with our girls from 5 months to present...My girls learned really quickily and have about 100 to 150 signs each...
    IAMmomtotrips

Answer by IAMmomtotrips at 10:18 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Thanks Ladies. I am going to try more,eat and milk with my daughter. She is 6 months so it may take a few months for her to do it!!

How did you teach your babies to sign? Just said the word and did the sign over and over or did it another way?
    JacobsMommy05

Comment by JacobsMommy05 (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I've been doing ASL with my son. He is six months, and hasn't actually did the signs back yet, but he does respond to them. I started about two months ago with eat, more, drink, and milk. When I sign eat he smiles and gets excited. when I ask if he wants more he holds his hands out. Have fun and good luck!
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 3:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2010