Is having a baby at 35 "bad"?

I'm 34. I'll be 35 in February. Recently a health issue came up that involved talk of having a hysterectomy. Before making such a huge decision, I wanted to consider some options. I have rather consistently wanted to have three children. I currently have two healthy boys, ages 7 and 10. There is no need to have an emergency hysterectomy, so my husband and I have thought about having a child before we agree to the surgery. I would be 35 when the child was born. However, after doing some research, it seems there are a lot of risks associated with having a baby at or after 35. I guess I'm wanting some advice from those who have done it. Was it all that bad as they say? Can you have a healthy baby? Can you have a healthy pregnancy? Is it okay for the kids to be so far apart in age? Thanks in advance!

ShaunnaMichelle

Asked by ShaunnaMichelle at 3:20 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I had twins at 35 and I didn't have any complications - the pregnancy was rough, but I think it was mainly because I was carrying two babies. Both of my babies were and are healthy. My older child was 11 when the twins were born, and it was very good experience for my family. Risks only BEGIN to increase at 35; my OB told me she didn't worry all that much about higher risks only based on age until at least 40.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I had my first at 32, I am 34 today actually! I would still like to have another. As long as your OB/GYN says your repro. organs are good to go than why not? This is the 21st century, women are having babies well into into their 40's and bouncing back very quickly!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 3:33 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I agree, if you can than go for it!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 3:38 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I'm 35 and i have a 2 1/2 year old and a 1 year old. If your Dr okays it, then go for it!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:39 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Having a baby at 35 is not too bad, depending on your ob/ogn doctor's advise, my sister who is a medical doctor had her last child at the age of 40. Though we have different bodies, your doc. is the best person to advice you.
    love

ocynachi

Answer by ocynachi at 4:36 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I did. She was number 5. My oldest was 14, 11, 5, 3.
    missisue

Answer by missisue at 4:46 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• As long as you go to the doctor regularly, and he is happy that all is still safe for both of you. One of my friends had a baby at 42 and both of them were fine!!! Look, there is abviously more risks the older you get, and it might be a bit more difficult for you, but if you feel up to it, go for it!!!!!!!!!!
    Doreen633

Answer by Doreen633 at 4:51 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• its ok !! my sister was born when my mother was 37, we are happy !!
    Lolga

Answer by Lolga at 5:38 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I had my last at 35, and I know of someone people that had their babies at 40 and 42. It might be a lot hard to conceive now, so if you are going to have one, I wouldn't wait to long.
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 7:28 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• The world is changing. 40 years ago i'm sure they would have said yes, 100 years before that it would have been unheard of but today... Its totally normal. My mom was 42 with her last! Some people still didn't understand or thought she would "obviously abort" which I thought was totally crazy. But on the whole I think society is getting so familiar with women having pregnancies in their 30's that few will think twice about it.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 9:37 AM on Sep. 20, 2010