How do I get my 2yr old to blow his nose??

my son has a cold and he has been taking medicine, but he refuses to blow his nose. If I try to suck it out he screams bloody murder. I know he would feel better if he just blew it out. Now I'm sick too(ofcourse) and I've been showing him how, he just won't do it. any suggestions?

Mommycakes06

Asked by Mommycakes06 at 8:34 AM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Kids' Health

• My daughter could not figure out how to blow her nose until she was like 5 years old! She always sucked it in. But how I explained it was....pretend that you are blowing out birthday candles with your nose ( I know gross, right?) But it worked! She knew how to blow out her mouth to blow candles out so she figured out you can blow out your nose too. I don't know if that will work with your son because he is only 2, but that is the only thing that worked for me! Good luck!
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 3:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Tell him to close his mouth and breathe. That worked on my little cousins. Once they realized that couldn't breathe with a stuffy nose they automatically blew. My daughter is 14 months and just recently had a bad cold. I taught her to do it by closing my mouth and making a funny noise while blowing out of my nose with a tissue over it. She thought it was hilarious, and wanted to try it and it worked! Good luck, and I hope he feels better soon!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• yeah ask him if he wants to stay sick. Remember to constantly wash ur hands with antibacterial soap and wipe down stuff with lysol wipes, not like every day wipe down stuff but more than once a week, like a few times a week. not saying u don't, my son was just sick and did that. I also made sure he didn't play with his sisters toys or help me with anything around the house till he wasn;t sick
    Anonymous