My daughter is 17 and wears a 24 in pants. she is on antidepressants. she had kwaski's diease as a baby that slows her down alittle more than others. She is just lazy. I have tried so many things, What do you suggest?

MomoftheCrew

Asked by MomoftheCrew at 7:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Health

• give her organic juices and just change all to organic so atleast she eating healthy also feed her 4 to 6 small meals a day my daughter gained weight from the antidepressants see if u can change the meds to a different one. Also inrole her in a hiphop dance class and make her go even if she doesn't want to. Talk to her about how u feel
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Do you honestly think she likes being as big as she is? When she's tired of being fat......then she'll do something about it!! You're her mom-that's it. I'm being real honest here-not being offensive. She has to deal with herself in her body-not you mom.
    broom

Answer by broom at 8:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• perhaps not lazy...depression tends to rob people of energy and caring about themselves. I wouldn't use the word Lazy with someone who is suffering depression, esp a child.

Also, some antidepressants in children worsen the depression and can trigger suicidal thoughts. Perhaps you may want to discuss concerns with doc who prescribed them just to be on safe side.
    Triessence

Answer by Triessence at 8:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I second Triessence...
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 8:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Be supportive to her and help her work her way through her depression... I'm sure mom telling her that she needs to loose weight isn't helping....Invite her to do things with you like going on a walk or bike ride....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• if she is on antidepressents, its not all her fault. those things made my mom go from a size 2 to a size 22. no lie. she's off them now and down to a 12. so, acknowledge that and then speak to her doctor.
    being fat is depressing (i find) and the mroe depressed you get the less you want to do so the more weight you gain...its an ugly cycle...maybe you could encourage her to exercise with you. idk.
    please, though, let her know beauty comes in all sizes and shapes and that even if she doesn't think shes beautiful, out there somewhere, is someone who will think she is the most beautiful thing on the planet.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:56 AM on Jul. 2, 2008