Any truth to this old wives tale?

My elders believe that a baby should "chew their teeth through". Chewing forces the teeth to the surface. I'm not so sure. What are your views?

CassyzMom

Asked by CassyzMom at 5:17 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I should add, the teeth are going to come out either way, it's not like it's the act of chewing that makes the teeth grow, but it does help the teeth break through the surface, and it does sooth them during the process...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:45 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I think that the "biting" and "chewing" instinct in babies is pretty strong when they're teething, so I think that to try to stop it is pretty much impossible - sort of like trying to stop the urge to push during labor...

Now, that does NOT mean that if you nurse, mommy has to be a teething ring, etc - babies can learn to not bite then, etc. Just that you aren't going to stop them from chewing on their little fists, and that teething rings, biter biscuits, etc are good for them and help sooth the gums.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:44 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• The teeth will come through when they are good and ready to come through. Chewing on something helps ease the pain of teething.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:38 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• So if they dont chew, then the teeth dont come in or what? I think babies chew on things during this period b/c their gums hurt and it helps to ease the pain.

My grandmother was full of "useful" information like this :=)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:12 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Just when you think you have heard all of them...... Babies teethe to get their teeth to come through. They will teethe on whatever they find. I honestly don't even understand this one.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 5:43 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I believe it... all of my kids chewed theirs through. I bought all kinds of teething rings but they were never happy with them. One chewed on me (LOL), and the other two chewed on clean wet washcloths. I'd wet a clean rag, pop it in the freezer, and baby was happy. :)
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 5:44 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I think that they're going to chew on something because it's not as painful that way. It probably helps it break through the gum faster as well.
    baboluchi56

Answer by baboluchi56 at 6:01 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i don't know what you mean by chew through their teeth. i gave them pizza crust to chew on
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 7:24 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Chewing doesn't make the teeth grow any faster out of the jaw bone. Biting does help the teeth cut through the gums faster and it does help to ease the pain of that cutting.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:24 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I think that the chewing helps to soothe as they are teething
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 8:20 AM on Sep. 20, 2010