What do you think about lap band surgery?

I am 5'3 240 pds and its getting olf i kept the baby weight on and i cant diet all i do is eat i work out but not diet i dont know is this healthy for me to put in my stomach? I was 120 7 yrs ago why did i gain this lol ?

Momofaprince146

Asked by Momofaprince146 at 5:56 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I don't think they know enough about the long term effects of lap bands to say if they're safe or not. I guess I'd have to say it's not something I'd consider myself.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 6:21 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I would only use this as a very last resort, I would try dieting first.

Answer by older at 7:12 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Honestly, better diet and exercise is the healthiest way to loose weight. Talk to a nutritionist about the number of calories and the percentages of carbs, fat and protein you should be eating in a day. Avoid processed and fried foods. Stay away from empty calories. Get at least 30 minutes of quality exercise every day. If you do that - really change your lifestyle - the weight will come off.

Keep in mind - even if you get the surgery, if you do not change your lifestyle habits, you can easily put the weight back on. Yes, the surgery reduces the size of the stomach, but if you push it, over time you can increase the size of your stomach again. Many people balloon back up to their pre-surgery sizes after several years because they never really addressed the lifestyle changes that needed to be made. And weight loss through starvation (which is what these gastric surgeries do) stresses your body more than healthy weight loss.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:22 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• The side effects of being obese are horrible. Diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, lung and heart problems, depression, on and on.
    Make every effort to loose and keep the weight off. Do not jump into the lap band or any other surgery. They are not an easy fix.
    There are many different types of surgery, research them and decide which is best for you if you decide to take that route.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:38 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• You say you cannot diet. That is a bad sign because with lap band you have to limit your intake for it to maintain. So if you cannot diet you will defeat the lap band.
    You can diet. You have to find out what is making it so difficult for you to diet. Why do you want to defeat yourself? Are you depressed?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:40 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I have the lap band and it's A LOT of work. The band is only a tool to help you lose weight. If you don't make the right food & portions choices and make a real lifestyle change the band will not work. I have lost 90 pounds and I'm at an absolute plateau. No matter how much I exercise and eat well I cannot lose more weight. I have had to resort to diet pills to help maintain my loss. Frustrated is a good word for it...
    I have met several women who have lost almost nothing with the band. They don't think they have to put any effort into the weight loss. I've also known a few (here on CM) who have had great success. There is a Lap Band group on this site called Livin' and Lovin' the Lap Band Lifestyle - you can read all about our struggles and successes.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 8:20 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• You know what, I wouldn't listen to anyone who doesn't struggle with what you deal with everyday. I get soooooo sick adn tired of hearing diet and excercise. I GET IT ALREADY!!!! It's not that simple for everyone. I have been to the lap band seminar, and had my insurance not taken a dump I would have done it. I have three friends that did it and it is working for them. For me, the risks outwiegh my fears of heart attack resulting in death @ 50(my aunt), heart disease(dad, grandfather, grandmother) and cancer. Nothing is 100% and you do have to change your life, that's what the seminar talks to you about. I have seen people with Gastric bypass go right back to doing the same thing too. But YOU do what you need to do, to get healthy. Everyone's journey is different. And what works for me may not work for you.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:30 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i know a couple of people who got the lap band and it worked great for them. however, one kept the weight off and one didnt. you have to remember that you cant just loose the weight and then go back to eating the same way you did once you take it off or else you will gain all the weight back again.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:34 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• It sounds like your hormones are really off balance, you should make a doctors visit to get this check.
    annie610

Answer by annie610 at 9:38 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I'm sure the person who jumped on the thumbs down bandwagon never battled with being 120 lbs overweight and failed every time either.....You do get tired of people just saying it's easy, diet and excercise.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:01 AM on Sep. 20, 2010