What is the difference between a notebook and a netbook??

I am trying to figure out the MAIN differences between a netbook and a notebook. My 7 year old wants a laptop and I'm thinking more towards one of these two. Which one do you think would be better for a 7 year old to do school work on and play some educational games on?

MoMofTWOkiddos

Asked by MoMofTWOkiddos at 7:12 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Entertainment

• i have both. i got my netbook free from verizon. its much smaller but its soo cute. i like it because its much easier to travele with. my notebook computer is small also but its much bigger. both can be useful for educational purposes but i think if you want the child to have it for a few years i would go with a notebook.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:18 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Netbooks are about half the size of a notebook. I believe that they are used mostly for internet surfing. They do not have large hard drives or a lot of memory. Some of the newer ones I think have USB drives on them. If I were going to get one for a child in school I would go with a notebook.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 7:30 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I meant USB ports. Sorry.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 7:32 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Netbooks have smaller screens and are less powerful (you can't run things that take a lot of RAM to run.) A netbook would probably run educational games just fine, but the screen would be awfully small.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:22 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I believe, like the others before me, that the main differences are the size (netbooks are much smaller than notebooks) and the amount of memory they have availiable. If you are wanting to load games onto it for the child to play, I would recommend the notebook.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 8:28 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I'm not positive about all netbooks, but from what I understand netbooks do not have a hard drive.
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 8:44 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• The main differences are size and processing performance. Netbooks are much slower. I don't know that a 7 yr old really needs much performance, but as far as bang for the buck, netbooks are over priced. Staples.com actually has some surprisingly good prices on laptops. We recently got a 15" Compaq (granted not the greatest brand for durability/reliability) for $350.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 9:44 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i chose a notebook because I can still use it like a regular computer. The only "good" thing about the netbook was it's size, but my notebook is the size of a piece of paper (thicker, obviously!!), so it's really very portable.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:05 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• now tht is a good question . I personaly do not know . but perhaps we can find out by looking at them .I have six gtreat grandsoms and they all need them .
    sugarsmom2

Answer by sugarsmom2 at 1:17 PM on Sep. 20, 2010