Does your 2 y/o have nightmares or scared to sleep?

My 2 y/o hasn't been able to sleep, she tells me she's scared. We stay up until 2 or 3 in the morning b/c of this. Usually w/in an hour she'll wake up screaming and crying. This morning she woke up telling her daddy that she peed in her bed but it was dry so he just figured that she had a dream. Is this happening w/ anyone else?

MAyers

Asked by MAyers at 8:59 AM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OMG! I could have written this post. I truly sympathize as we are going through the same thing and have been for couple of months now. I'm sorry that I don't have any advice, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.
    auntymeme

Answer by auntymeme at 9:13 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• my daughter is going through the same thing. The last two nights have been horrible
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:20 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• My 2 1/2yo doesn't try to stay up late but she wakes up screaming all the time. The other night she woke up at midnight and at 3:30am screaming at the top of her lungs. When I went to check on her she just kept crying about not wanting to sleep anymore.
    Over the summer she was waking up 2-3 times a night freaking out over balloons. She is terrified of balloons after they have deflated some. We got rid of all the balloons in the house and she still kept waking up every night. I thought she had outgrown it until the other night.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Is she inconsolable when she is screaming, almost like she is still asleep and dreaming when you are holding her? It may be night terrors. I lived with my sister who's daughter had night terrors about that age. The doc told us that once she is asleep, wake her up about an hour or so later, just before the time she typically started screaming. It worked and eventually she wasn't having them. But i would talk to a doctor if you think it is night terrors, my neice was terrified, its hard to describe how she screamed...and for a while she was scared to go to sleep...but she did grow out of it after a few months, but i would call the doctor anyway.
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 1:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• KEHMOM--- She's still up when she's screaming, she'll get out of bed and come get us. Last night no matter what we did she was just screaming, we tried to sleep in Mommy and Daddys' bed (my bed) her bed, the couch, watched her favorite shows before bed time. She just was scared to sleep, and I hate seeing her scared to sleep. She has dark circles under her eyes from not getting enough sleep, and she's not eating good at all since this has started. I'm really worried about her.
    MAyers

Answer by MAyers at 1:49 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I'm also going through the same thing with my 2 1/2 year old
    Overwhelmed28

Answer by Overwhelmed28 at 7:35 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• well my little girl is actually gonna be 4 in dec but because of learning disabilities she is mentally half that. so that would put her around 2 yrs old and she is doing this also. if not this she will go to bed at 8 to 9 pm but then will wake any wheres from 3 to 5 am and screams to get out of bed. she will crawl in with us and go back to sleep til 7 or 7:30
    creampuff62

Answer by creampuff62 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 27, 2008