Another asthma/coughing/nebulizer question.

If my dd has asthma and about the only way I can tell that she is having trouble is her cough, I give her a nebulizer treatment, how long after that should she still be coughing, when should the cough settle down and for how long? *I am calling her dr this morning, but I am still waiting for their office to open*

Sarasmoonflower

Asked by Sarasmoonflower at 8:34 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Ditto, however the neb being a mist is supposed to help clear the airways, my DD will continue to cough, but can take breaths in between. Watch the lips and fingernails. Make sure she is getting oxygen and is okay. IF she can't get a breath and is still coughing, ER is where you need to be...they can hook her up immediately to oxygen and make sure you write down everytime you have given her a treatment and the dose....
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 9:31 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• the coughing/ wheezing should be much clearer after treatment.if you have seen NO improvement or she appears to be in distress still, take her to the ED or straight to your office if it's closer
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 9:10 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• depending on how bad the cough is I usually give my daughter another treatment about an hour later if it hasnt eased up. If the nebulizer no longer seems to be working at all even after doubling up on the treatments you should call her dr....they can deteriorate very quickly and she may need more attention than just the neb. If you put your ear to the middle of her back you should be able to hear the rattling/wheezing sound. I hope she feels better soon, I know all too well what its like to have a little one like this.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:43 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My daughter usually still coughs after she does a treatment... for up to 2 hours I'd say. The cough is the body's attempt to get rid of any foreign matter as well, so my doctor said that sometimes the treatment causes the cough to keep going, even if the airways are now clear.
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 11:07 AM on Sep. 20, 2010