Putting baby in his own bed.

Any tips on how to move our baby to his own bed??? He is used to sleeping with us and will be fast asleep lying next to me, but the minute I put him down in his own bed (filled with teddies to make him comfortable) he is wide awake and looks at me very dissapointed that I put him there..... PLEASE ANY ADVISE WILL HELP

Doreen633

Asked by Doreen633 at 8:49 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why does he need to be in his own bed? How old? Is everyone getting sleep? Are you changing because the social status quo where you live says you are "supposed" to? Do you just need more rooM?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:56 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• how old is he? first off, especially with winter around the corner, you may need to take some of his "lovies" out of the crib for respiratory reasons. ok now the good part: the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends to teach self sleeping methods by four months. this means to put baby in crib, not crying, to fall asleep on their own. go about your normal bed time routine, maybe even a baby massage and then let baby go to sleep by himself. mobils are supposedly great for this... my kid like d the books on tape. my first child was really good about falling asleep by himself, however, i was so broke, we lived in the same room at my parents' house and he could actually SEE my bed from his crib so that may have been cheating...
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 9:04 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I agree with amileegirl. DD slept with me until she turned 2, (and I got pregnant again) then I moved her to her big girl bed & made a big deal out of it, and let her pick out her own bedding. It made it special for her and there was no problem with her getting out of her bed and coming into my room, as of yet. I think co-sleeping is a wonderful thing, but yes, if there's a problem and for your family it's not working, yes you should try to get baby used to his own bed. Maybe sleep in his room with him on the floor a few times so he gets used to his own room, then put him in his crib/bed and be there with him until he falls asleep, then when he's comfortable with that it will be a lot easier?
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 9:04 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• try putting him in his bed when he is almost asleep,stand beside the bed with your hand on his tummy or back (depending on how old he is/how he sleeps) and gently rub or pat until he is asleep. I noticed that my daughter didnt like laying in her bed because of the change in temperature...they are warm while snuggling with you and the bed felt cool to the touch..so when I knew I was going to be putting her down i would sit on a blanket to warm it up during her last feeding and then have my hubby lay it in the bed for me to lay her on so she wasnt laying on the cold sheet. you can also roll a blanket up tight and lay him beside it so he feels like someone is there.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:06 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• He is now 8 months old, want to move him to his own bed as it is getting a bit uncomfortable to all sleep together. We live in South Africa so it's summer for us now. The biggest issue is that he really gets quite hot during the night. Both him and me have a lot of body heat (my husband always says it's like sleeping next to a heater..... hehehehe)
    Doreen633

Comment by Doreen633 (original poster) at 9:16 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• One thing you could do is sleep with his crib sheet for a night or 2 and then put it on his bed- that way his bed will smell familiar.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:36 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• An alternative is to sidecar a crib, that way you have more space and you wont' have as much of a body heat issue. Visit this site here to see what I mean. It's a win win. Side car crib http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/" You may find that just a little more room is what you need. Otherwise if you are going to transition don't put him in another bed until he is in DEEP sleep -- watch for limp limbs, heavy head, steady breathing. You may get part of the night that way especially if you keep his bed in your room.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:33 PM on Sep. 20, 2010