What is your honest view of Islam?

I myself am a muslim and find that many people have misconceptions about the religion and the what it stands for as well as the people who follow it.

I am very interested to find out what the general public believe about it.

I was a Christian before converting 7 years ago and I had been taught it was an awful religion for my whole life before finally embracing Islam. What are your opinions? All are free to answer with as much honesty/distaste as they want to - I want the truth not a watered down version. :P

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think just like in every religion there are extremist. I really try not to let that cloud the fact that there are good people tied to Islam as well. I have read parts of the Koran and frankly it scares me a bit... it's a lot like the gloom and doom you see in the Old Testament of the Bible (which I don't buy into either). But, I really try to look at it with an open mind and take each follower I meet as an individual and not buy into the stereotype the world has projected onto the religion.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 9:10 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• a little strict on the women

seems pretty strict and hardcore for something they aren't 100% positive is going to mean anything after death.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:11 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I've been raised Christion my whole life but lately I find myself honestly considering converting. I find so many beautiful ideals that I feel more personally relate to my life in Islam. I would like to find some where locally to learn more about the muslim faith's and practices but I'm not even sure where to start. At this point its more of a curiosity.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 9:12 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• It is a dangerous religion that is attempting world domination. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:15 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I think Islam is a religion that is seriously misunderstood, because of the few radicals who use it in ways that aren't true to what Islam really is. I find Islam to be a beautiful, inspiring faith, and it has a very special place in my heart. I know there are many on here who think poorly of Islam, but my personal study of Islam, and my friends who are Muslim, have given me a more positive understanding and regard for the faith.

I will say that all of the Muslims I have ever talked to have been polite, amiable, and loving. I haven't seen any of that judgment that I get from fellow Christians. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:17 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• As a whole, I have a negative view. I mean look at what has happened to our own ppl in the name of islam. But also look at some of the horrible things ppl have done in the name of Christianity too. I know people who practice islam and they are kind so I am bottom line undecided. I will never convert to it.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:19 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Like all religions, there are most people, and ten there are the extremists within the religion. I think the tenets and practices of Islam are very much of the culture in which it developed, and that that culture is rather backward about women, especially in some sects.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:22 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I know the earlier books are the same as the Old Testament. If anyone is familiar with the story of Abraham, he is the father of Ishmael, who those practicing Islam are decendents of and who have been blessed. But, it was Israel's children (Ishmael's younger brother) and their decendents who God has poured the blessings upon. This is why there is so much fighting. All and all, they are of the same forefather!

I have read the Koran and personally, I would not want to follow anyone that promotes violence.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 9:28 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I didnt know much about it other than lots of terrorists seemed to be that belief but have since learned a bit more and understand it has its extremists like every other belief out there(and non-belief, athiests have extremists too).

Those I know are good people just trying to live normal blah lives LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:55 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Another offshoot of a belief following the God of Abraham. Nothing scary or frightening about it. There's good and bad in all religions it's what you take from them that makes the difference. I think a lot of confusion regarding Islam comes from the word jihad which basically means to struggle in the way of God. It is a Muslims own personal struggle to keep God's word, etc. Christians have a similar concept they just call it "spiritual warfare". Of course the batty loons in any religion will take simple concepts like this and try to twist it in order to declare war on anyone who doesn't follow the same belief. Again, those people are a loud minority which in no way represent what the belief is truly about.

Personally I think Muslims do a better job of "judge not lest ye be judged" as they focus more on their own walk with God rather than worrying about other people's walk.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:27 AM on Sep. 20, 2010