Nothing is working on pimples

my 14 year old nephew has such huge pimples and constantly has them. i know it is hormones but everything we are trying is not helping. any home remedies for it?

sherryb1273

Asked by sherryb1273 at 9:12 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• have him change his pillow case EVERY night. if he has horrible acne, that means that his skin is over producing oil, which tends to get worse when you sleep. so, if he is using the same pillow case every night, he is adding more oil to his skin by sleeping on what rubbed off the night before.

my 14 y/o nephew has the same issue, and since my sister started this process (along with getting him to actually wash his face instead of just saying that he did it) its starting to get better
    racergirl7

Answer by racergirl7 at 6:36 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Oatmeal baths if he has them all over, my brother did, more on his back and chest than his face. I try to stay away from anything with any acids in it or that really advertise for clear skin because they always seem too harsh. Find a light cleanser and moisutizer. I know its advertised for women but my husband loves using it... Mary Kay. lol. it sounds funny, and I know the pink bottles don't help but it really helped my brother and my husband (and me lol I have terrible hormonal acne at 27 which I never had as a teen)
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 9:16 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• whenever I had a breakout when i was younger, my mom told me to put toothpaste on it (make sure it contains baking soda). I can't say it will work for him or not, as everyone is different. But it got rid of mine within 24 hours usually.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:17 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Rather than flailing around for remedies for a serious skin condition and leaving him with disfiguring scars, how about taking him to a dermatologist?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:18 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• have you tried the clean and clear 3 step, it seems to work good here and cheaper than the pro activ
    charlie_06

Answer by charlie_06 at 9:23 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I was gonna say proactiv but I see Charlie 06 says it's expensive... (not suprised). I never had an issue with acne so I'm not much help. Sorry!!! :(
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 9:24 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I had horrible acne as a teenager. I suggest taking him to a dermatologist.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:26 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I highly recommend the face soap Cetaphil. He should wash his face once at night and once in the morning with this soap. My dermatologist recommended it, and I've been using it for years now. The other thing to think about is what kinds of products are being used. If he is using various pimple creams, those can actually make it worse. They are designed to dry out the pimple so it will go away. But when it comes to skin, if the skin becomes overly dry, your body naturally steps in to remedy the situation. The body is getting signals that the skin is too dry, so it will actually produce MORE oil to balance it out. I would avoid using products that are going to dry out the skin because of this. He may be just making his face more and more oily, thus causing more and more pimples. Stop using all other products and try Cetaphil in the "normal to oily skin" variety.
    MyFamilyOfFive

Answer by MyFamilyOfFive at 9:47 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My teen used to be the same way. He tried all the OTC products (including ProActiv), which did nothing, and he was also under the care of a dermatologist who prescribed antibiotics and gave him Rx cream ... still nothing. It wasn't until DS eliminated dairy from his diet and we got his zinc levels in line that his skin cleared up beautifully. Haven't had a problem since.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• There is this stuff called Purpose by Johnson and Johnson (I got it at walmart) Its oil free. I like it I have tried proactive old and new and it didn't work. I tried murad it didn't work. So Purpose has been working for me. I would get him the moisturizer too because dry acne only produces more acne. I hope I could help.
    Liz003

Answer by Liz003 at 9:55 AM on Sep. 20, 2010