What Does the 19th Amendment mean to you?

August 26th, 1920 the 19th Amendment of our Constitutional rights was passed. Women were fighting for the right to vote for decades, if not centuries. If you choose not to vote do you think all of the women who suffered for our voice to be heard did this in vain? Do you think you should have the right to be silent, that your vote will not make a difference anyway?

shishie

Asked by shishie at 9:56 AM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I know the women of the past suffered to make it possible for the women of today to vote and I will honor them and their courage by voting in every election. No, there is never going to be a perfect candidate, and I don't agree with everything any of them stand for, but I take the time to research the platforms of each one, and vote for the one who most closely represents my morals, and priorities. I vote for the "lesser of the evils". I think it's a shame that more people do not make the effort to get educated about the candidates and issues so that they can have a voice in who comes into office. That's much of why our country is in the shape it's in; and many of the ones who don't vote are the first ones to complain about who is in office and criticize the decisions they are making. Our country is only going to be as great as the people we elect into office, so it's one of the most important privileges/obligations we have.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Do you think you should have the right to be silent, that your vote will not make a difference anyway?

Yes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• wouldn't it be a shame if everyone felt that way didn't vote. We really wouldn't have a voice, we would be relinquishing our voting power.
    shishie

Answer by shishie at 10:02 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Voting is a privilege.....not mandatory. I am not a registered voter.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:14 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I've just registered to vote this year, I just turned 39. It has escaped me all these years that if all the people who felt their votes didn't count banded together we can make a real difference. The only reason your vote doesn't count is if you don't cast it.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Voting is a priviledge, I agree; so is breathing a priviledge.
    shishie

Answer by shishie at 10:51 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Voting may be a privilege but it's not one WOMEN have always had. Did you know that back then women that fought for their right to vote were beat up, put in jail and even died!!! All or equality.

So why shouldn't you vote? Granted, it's a personal choice. But, if you are going to think of it as a chore instead of a choice I think that's where the problem comes in. JMO
    Looking2Adopt1

Answer by Looking2Adopt1 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I'm not voting this year. There is absolutely not one person running that I believe in. If I was to go back to 1920 and face the women that fought to pass this for all of us, I do not believe they we shun me. Yes we have come a longggggg way since 1920 but we are still not equal today. I have the right not to vote and I have a right to vote. If we had real people running that I would trully believe could change America and get this great country back on track, I would exercise my 19th Amendment and chose one to do just that.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 11:33 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Those poor Suffragettes must be rolling in their graves! If you don't vote you simply are gagging yourself. You have no voice. I do feel that many people take freedoms for granted until those freedoms are taken away. A lot of people feel that their vote doesn't matter, that is so wrong. I find that the non-voters tend to be natural born citizens, the citizens of this country that became citizens by choice, not by birthright are more consistent in voting because they realize what a true privilege it is to be an American citizen, they know what alternatives are out there and they hold the "voice" that voting gives them very dear

hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 11:34 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I say anyone who does not vote is infact betraying this country by not letting their voice be heard. SO yes I agree that the 19th admendment is in vain, when we as women refuse to vote.
    littledebrarae

Answer by littledebrarae at 11:38 AM on Oct. 19, 2008