How do I disipline my 3 very active kids? Everytime I put them in time out they just laugh and think I'm playing a game with them. What do I do

They are 6, almost 5 in Aug. and almost 4 in Sept. When their dad is home they listen and are for the most part well behaived but when he leaves it turns in to a nightmare. I put them in time out and they laugh, if I send them to their rooms they just play with their toys. It seems that no matter what I do they just refuse to listen to me. I want to take them places but when we get there they take off in 3 different directions. So any advice would help so much. I am out of ideas. lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in General Parenting

• My son used to refuse to go into time out and he used to laugh at me too. So one day I held him there myself. I didn't start the time until he was quiet and standing there by himself. After a while this worked. He learned that no matter what he wasn't going to get out of it.

I don't know what to tell you about going places. I have the same trouble with my two. They are so active and go crazy when we're some place new. lol

I will say though that most children behave better for everyone but their mothers. I don't know what it is.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 8:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I must say that it is a problem masny face and not to sound mean or violent but you need to show them you are the boss and they will have to listen to you or be punished. I do believe in spanking but if you do not I suggest you find something that helps you get your bluff in or it will be even worse as they get older. Remember one spank can last a lifetime if they realize you mean business...
    wondermommy5

Answer by wondermommy5 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I have one with the same problem. He is fine for dad, but when mom is alone all he** breaks loose. I watch Nanny 911 and Supernanny for ideas and even bought the supernanny book. I've sence taken his toys out of his room along with his tv. When he acts up for me I take his time away for his game systems. I'm sure it's hard with three out and about, but you have to find something that will get the attention. Take something away when you get home if they act up while out. Or tell them they will get a treat if well behaved while out. I hope it gets better.
    tazzyt19

Answer by tazzyt19 at 12:27 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• My daughter did the same thing for a long time, I talked to my husband about it and he told me he thought she was not taking me seriously because I was constantly onher about something. I didn't like what he had to say but tried to ease up on the minor things and it worked. Now when I say something, she knows I mean business and there is no question about it.
    mum2b2009

Answer by mum2b2009 at 1:57 AM on Jul. 8, 2008