Down Syndrome

How do babies get down syndrome?What are some of the signs doctors detect linking to the syndrome in ultrsounds?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• My Doctor had to check my baby girl for Downs,

Babys get it, Poeple say..Oh it is heritary
    BUT, more so they get it from just nothing at all,No history at all,
    I didnt have any downs in my family,
    But the blood work i took " they run a test on you during a certian time spand" Known as the AFP test
    Detecting Abnormal Chromonsonal Disorders,
    Its the Extra
    21st chromosomethey are born with
    the baby would have mild to moderate mental retardation,short stature, and a flattened facial profile...its usually called trisomy 21

They check for alot of stuff on the U,S for the markers of downs,

I just had an Amnio,
    Everything came back okay
    but i did GO HERE
    alot, and read everything like 10 x or more,
    http://www.ds-health.com/prenatal.htm

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:25 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Tests for it can be wrong, or right. What will you do? Finding out "to prepare yourself" can be torture, and you'll deal w/ it anyway if that is your fate. My 7th pregnancy was diagnosed w/ the possibility of having a child with Edwardian syndrome, and could die in 3 months, etc. False. Grieved for nothing. Child was fine. They did miss the numerous birth defects she does have, though, interestingly enough (lymphatic malformations of neck and thoracic cavity).

Please keep in mind that not all down's syndrome children are retarded! Yep. Amazingly, I didn't learn that til this summer when I took a Sociology class at college. Good Luck, and Abundant Blessings!
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 10:47 AM on Oct. 19, 2008