Is your child you denomination or are they just tagging along until they are old enough to make an informed decision for themselves?

A lot of parents just make that decision for their kids, which is not only unfair but a waste of time if the kid is just playing along for your sakes and makes their own decision later in life.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 10:02 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• My son is still too young, I think, so we haven't introduced him to religion yet, but once he's older I'm going to educate him on all of his options and let him decide.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Since God gives us a free will, what more can I do for my children? They decide for themselves.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 10:03 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Well I'm Atheist so I guess I would say they're "tagging along for the ride" even though we don't go to church and we don't talk of religion at all(in either a positive or negative light). So pretty much we concentrate on being nice and playing nice and just having fun and being a kid.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I don't think it's ever come up with us yet except "where are my friends going?" "They're going to church", "but I want to play some more", "Okay well you'll have to wait until they come home".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:28 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• well they go to church and learn everything about what we believe...they're only 2 and 3 now...lol. when they get older, yes they will be going to our church. when they get out of the house they can choose for themselves. the bible says to train up a child in the way they should go, and so we are. this is how my dad did it. yes, i went my own way for a while. i never switched religions, i just stopped going to church. i did visit some though, and honestly they were all dead and dry and i had no intention of going somewhere i didn't feel the power of the Holy Ghost and God's touch. getting a 'visitation' from God is more to me than just going to a church to hear what i want to hear.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:14 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• ok, maybe i should clarify given their age, they don't go into deep spiritual talk to them about what we believe lol...right now they're just really learning stories in the Bible in sunday school, they learn to worship and praise God. in sunday school they have all the classes join together in the beginning, sing songs, praise and Worship God, just how we do it in the "big church" as some kids like to call it. then they go to their seperate classes. we don't in big church, lol, we sit and listen to the pastor :)

armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:19 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My children are raised with education and without religion.  They have always been given the freedom to discover their way, so there is nothing for them to tag along with. 

My oldest dd who will be 18 in December is an atheist by her own choosing, but religion and spirituality isn't even on my 13 year old dd's radar yet.  I'm guessing she will get there in her own sweet time.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:32 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• @Kristi.. thats kinda what we do too. If it comes up, we talk about it, but for the most part, our house is religion free.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• people won't race to answer this, since it would be admitting they are forcing their church onto their kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• uncalled for defensiveness, Gal51.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Sep. 20, 2010