is rocking my 10 month to sleep that bad?

SweetMiss

Asked by SweetMiss at 10:10 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I do it. I don't know how bad it is, but I comfort him to sleep just about every time, mine is 10mos as well. I know I'm probably forming a bad habit but he's only a baby and I'm sure as he grows heavier I'll stop :)
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:11 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I don't think so. I do it. I also nurse her till she falls asleep.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:12 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• It's not bad,. no. But I had quit rocking my kids to sleep within the 1st 3 months. I loved the idea that at bed time I could lay them down and they would go to sleep without fuss
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:13 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• when my baby was little she could go to sleep without being rocked but now that she can stand i rock her to sleep or else she stands and jumps in her crib. it doesnt take very long to rock her so i dont mind doing it but with all of the sleep training that i hear about i wasnt sure if i was the only one out there still rocking :)
    SweetMiss

Comment by SweetMiss (original poster) at 10:15 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I did it too.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 10:19 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I would rock until she no longer wanted you to. No need to quit ever... my son slept with me. They on their on will outgrow it and move on and sleep on their own..I commend you for doing it. I hate to hear about all the "They need to self soothe, CIO" mom's.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:19 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i keep wondering why people think it is better to let them cry for an hour than to rock them for 3 minutes....
    SweetMiss

Comment by SweetMiss (original poster) at 10:21 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My children didn't cry for an hour. A few minutes sometimes, but that was when they were toddlers and didn't want to be in bed. Bedtimes weren't a choice in my house
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:23 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• It is the best thing you can do. It is good for bonding. Whoever told you it was bad is very outdated on parenting.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:11 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• It's not that it's "BAD," it just sets up a precedent that a lot of parents don't with to continue later on. It fails to teach the child how to fall asleep on his/her own, which is a VERY important life skill. I know a lot of people are against "crying-it-out" but I don't think of it that way. I think of it more as teaching my baby to self-soothe and put herself to sleep. We did this when she was about 6 months old and then had to do it again at 9 months after some terrible teething issues. It was HORRIBLE for about 3 day- more horrible on me than her, believe me! But it was SOOOOOO worth it. Best parenting decision I have ever, ever made! We have our routine and she is down for a full 12 hours, no problems. It gave my husband and I our life back after 7:30 (when she goes down) plus we are both getting enough sleep now! She is also more independent and a better child for it!
    DanielleB10

Answer by DanielleB10 at 5:37 PM on Sep. 20, 2010