Did you know they have decided to start using breastfeeding growth charts to track all babies weight instead of formula charts now? For all babies.

So, instead of BF babies looking underweight..they will be the "norm". And instead of F babies looking just right, they will be considered overweight. Now, maybe BFing mom's won't be pushed to use formula to make their kids gain and FFing mom's won't be so inclined to keep pouring all that much formula into their kids.

Do you think this will make a difference?

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 10:16 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've always wondered in the first place why they expect every child to conform to the same chart when their diets are so much different (based upon FF or EBF).
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i'm so glad! guh.... by the ff baby chart, my 2 month old is underweight...... but i KNOW she's fine. i was pushed a LOT to use formula. i'm lucky enough to know the differences in a ff baby and a bf baby..... the women who don't really have that experience could easily be swayed to go against their mommy instincts.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 10:18 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Yes I have. but I really think like my Dr does is looks at what the curve is for my babies. My SIL breast feed and was always told her baby's were in the 95% tile with all her kids. So it does not even matter if it is breast feed baby or formula. They really need to say is ok you are here. We don't want to see a big jump or a big dip.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:19 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I think it will take a long time before America stops seeing "fat" babies as healthy babies, but this is a great start. Certainly older generations will have a hard time, but hopefully the younger generation will get it.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:19 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• OMG that is too funny. Who gives a rats ass about those growth charts, they don't mean a thing. My son was 22lbs when he was 6 months old, can you say chunky monkey?? lol He was so cute. My daughter was 18 months before she his 20lbs!!! She was a dainty one. My friends son was 22lbs at 6 months and he was BF. So those charts don't mean a darn thing. Luckily my kids peds used them loosely, he tracked their weight at height of course, but he knew the difference between a healthy child and a child that in under/overweight and NOT healthy
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:19 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I think the babies should be measured against the chart that applies to them, not a single generalization. And I'm not "inclined to keep pouring formula into my kids" I can't breastfeed, and I find your statement offensive.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:20 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• YAY! My kids have always been on the thin side. Thankfully we have a doctor with a brain, he wasn't worried because he knew that breastfed babies generally weigh less. But I totally dreaded getting stuck with a different doctor, because they always act like we don't feed our children enough and push formula.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:20 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/109320/doctors_choose_breast_over_formula?utm_medium=sm&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=haskell_fanpage

I agree Zakysmommy, but, there are some docs that will look at the FF chart and tell the BF mom that her kid is underweight and she "HAS" to FF.  And then theres the HUGE kid that isn't really healthy that is looked at as fine.

BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 10:22 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• @an-apple-a-day: I did not type a blanket statement. My son was formula fed. However, he was fed formula like a BF baby and not like I have seen FF mom's do it. There are mom's that WILL pour formula down their throats from birth and by pour, I mean that if a newborn is being fed 6+ ounces before it is even a week old, you ARE overfeeding your kid.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 10:25 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I really dont' see how changing charts will work any better than what's going on now.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:25 AM on Sep. 20, 2010