Christmas Traditions

What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions?

My favorite is that every year, on Christmas Eve, we get to open up a particular present. It is always a new ornament for the tree, that says something about that person for that year. We all get a new one every year. And by the time the kids are grown and move out on their own and have their own trees, they already have a bunch of ornaments to decorate it with.

QueenMomma2023

Asked by QueenMomma2023 at 10:16 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Holidays

• We do the PJ'S also put out reindeer food, read Thus the Night Before Christmas give Santa cookies and the reindeer carrots and my daughter writes their names on a piece of paper so they each get one. We always have done the ornament thing I started this when my oldest who will be 33 soon was little and she filled her tree with ornaments when she got married I also did it with my 30 yr old son to which he has none of them he left them in a place when he was with the Mother of his children that was filled with roaches so he has no childhood ornaments and now my 8 yr old gets to get one every year. She just got a Cinnamon horse at a craft fair Staurday so that's hers for this yr.
    This yr though i'm going away from what I normally do I am rented a motel room they can all play in the pool, we will have sandwiches and finger foods and they won't tear my house up and then leave me with the mess. I won't leave the mess at the pool
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:05 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My family decided to change the routine dinner around. Since we have a dinner on Thanksgiving and one on New Year's Day, we figured we would try something different. We have an open house spread on Christmas day. Oh, the food preparations go on and on for days, as they do with most households. But, most the food is already fixed come the morning time. The only work we do that day is to open bags, bowls, boxes, etc and set out on plates. People come throughout the day and get a bite when they are hungry. The focus of this is not so much eating (although we have ham, turkey, roast, all the sides you could think of, cakes, pies, cookies, candy, fruit, nuts, appetizers, chips, drinks of all manner), it is the socializing. The only time the host is in the kitchen is to bring out more food. When someone prepares a plate, they heat it up. Other than that, we can just spend a relaxed time with our guests.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 10:24 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• We get everyone a new ornament every year as well, but they get them on Thanksgiving. Then when we decorate the tree, my husband puts his LGB train around it, and the new ornaments ride around the tree until Christmas day, as though they are being brought by Santa. Next year they hang on the tree.

On Christmas Eve, the kids each get to open one gift, and it's always pajamas. I make each a new pair of pajamas each year. Two years ago we moved, and I bought pajamas because I just didn't have time to make them, and my boys who were 16, 19 & 25, were very upset about the store bought pajamas. I was surprised (but pleased) they even noticed, it will never happen again!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:26 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• We also give a pair of pajamas on Christmas Eve every year, too! Gotta have new night clothes to sleep in when Santa comes!

I love how you put the ornaments on the train until Christmas. That's awesome!
    QueenMomma2023

Comment by QueenMomma2023 (original poster) at 10:28 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• We make homemade ornaments for our tree every year, and we also go and cut down our own tree at the tree farm. That's our favorite family tradition.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:37 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• We spend Christmas eve with my husbands family. The kids open presents and we have a quick & easy meal (usually a Subway platter). We love spending the evening with them!
    redtree5

Answer by redtree5 at 4:24 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• We always get new ornaments each year, too. We put them on the tree right when we get them! lol I love the idea that she'll have her own ornaments when she moves out. We always drive around looking at the lights (last year she requested this over and over!) and go see Santa. On Christmas Eve we usually go to hubby's mom's to celebrate, eat dinner, and open her presents. When we get home we put out Reindeer food, so they can find our house of course!! :) Then dd opens 1 present and we put out milk and cookies for Santa, and carrots for the Reindeer. Christmas Day we open presents at our house, then go to my parents' house (with my Grandma and disabled Aunt) for brunch and their presents.

This year I want to add a few more things.. Like reading the Christmas Story, etc. and writing a letter to Santa...

mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 12:41 AM on Sep. 23, 2010