Can you believe in God and the bible but not be Christian?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, for example, millions of Jews and Muslims.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:26 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• A "christian" is not a certain denomination that you "are". Christian literally means Christ follower. If you believe in God, and believe that Jesus died for sins and then rose and you believe that the words of the bible are true and is our guidebook to living the way God wants us to, then you would be a Christ follower/Christian. Beyond that it is up to you to decide if what denomination you are.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:26 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Of course you can.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:22 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Yes. Even the demons believe and tremble, but they are not saved. You can believe a chair is a chair and will be good for you to sit on. But unless you accept that and do something about it (in this case, sit) it does you no good.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:30 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I believe in God. I believe there to be some truth in the Bible, however I do not believe it to be the literal truth nor the inerrant word of God. I'm not a Christian.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 11:32 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• What I am trying to say is how can you believe the Word and not believe in Jesus and become a Christian?

Easy, you become a Muslim instead (or alternately, you are Jewish).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:37 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Yes, of course. Being a Christian means accepting Christ as your savior. You can even believe that he is the savior, but if you don't ask for salvation, you aren't a Christian.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:28 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• If you believe in the bible than you would be a christian, a Christian is just someone who believes in God and follows God it's not a specific denomination however if you do believe in God and the bible than you would want to be saved and acccept him as your personal savior.
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 10:31 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Ditto lovinangels!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 10:31 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I consider myself a Christian, but have not found a church that I can totally agree with, so I stay out of them. I find the people to be very political, and not let you be involved with church happenings, get married there, or help out at church because they question your relationship with God.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:33 AM on Sep. 20, 2010