Please, advice on what to do about mean teacher, puts fear in kids!

My son is in 5th grade, goes to a great school, every year has been great. Over the summer all the mothers were talking about how they hoped their child didn't get a certain teacher. They said he was at times rude, picked on the kids and a lot of kids who had him before did not like him. So I was worried and as it turns out my son got him as his teacher. I was positive, told my son he has to respect the teacher, I'm sure he's not as bad as he sounds. It's only the 3rd week and already there've been problems. My son said the teacher told one student to shutup, another parent said his son told him the teacher said idiot and stupid, I spoke to some of the kids in the class, nobody likes him, they say he's mean. My son got in trouble the 2nd week! My son never gets in trouble, he's like a teachers dream! Now my son says he's nervous about going to school because he doesn't want to do something that's going to get him yelled at!

mom-de-uno

Asked by mom-de-uno at 10:28 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in

• Go straight to the principal with your concerns, talk to other parents of kids in the class or past parents, go to the school board if you have to! NO teacher should be turning the kids off from liking school and that's exactly what he's doing. If they get enough complaints they'll have to do something about it. ONE parent with a concern after only 2-3 weeks of school isn't gonna do much but if you have enough parents backing you and giving solid examples then they have to listen. Good luck and (((HUGS))) for your son, i hate hearing about kids being 'afraid' to go to school :(
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 10:32 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I would stand up to this douche bag, and right quick, too. Call the principal and the school board. Tell them you will not allow your child to be bullied and emotionally abused by a grown man, you want him transferred into a different class, and if they don't, you will contact a lawyer and sue the crap out of the school district.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:33 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My Mom did exactly what the two previous posters (DreainCo & lovinangels) recommended. She put the fear of God in them all and they knew she meant Business!! Go to the School ASAP and talk to the Principal immediately. I never had a problem with my Teachers again.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:37 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Could you show him how to use a voice recorder that he could put in his pocket? Then if he catches the teacher saying anything you could take that to the principal.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 10:39 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• If possible talk to the teacher 1st. If your son isn't moved from his class & they may or may not move him, he will be upset if you go over his head. Or ask for a meeting with the teacher & the principal. Then monitor things carefully. If you have time volunteer in the classroom, so you can see what's going on (obviously he'll be on his best behavior, but you may get some insight).

If you go to the principal remember they aren't required to transfer your child. This teacher already has a reputation & they probably get other requests. Most schools have a policy that parents can't request teachers. I've found that volunteering in the classroom, being positive & helpful to the teacher can often make a difference in how they treat your child-right or wrong.

That being said, I wouldn't stand by & let my child be bullied by a teacher & if things didn't get better I would be talking to the principal & the district if necessary.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:47 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Step 1. Meet with teacher and tell him he does not need to yell at your son. This probably won't go well and he will anyway but you can say you did it.
    Step 2. Meet with principal and do the same. Won't do any good but you can say you did it.
    Step 3. Go to local school board, then up.
    Step 4. Likely he ha s tenure or something protecting him. Take it to the media. Maybe embarassment and shame he will stop.
    GL
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:07 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I would confront the teacher. Let them know from the start they are messing with the wrong child. My children are respectable but your gonna respect them as well. Telling children to shut up andname calling is NOT acceptable. And that is he doesn't want his job heneedsto move on because I'm pretty darn sure there are more competant people to do the job. I had to deal with a mean teacher in school. Everyone hated her. But when the parents started letting it be known that they weren't having it, things started to change. Believeyour child before you believe the teacher.you know your child. Also, confront the principal. I'm pretty sure if the parents aretalking he or she has heard complaints before. If all else fails go over everyones head to the BOEand speak with the superintendant. Good luck.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 11:40 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I agree, go right to the principal. Get ll the parents together (past and present if possible) and meet with the principal. You have more "power" as a group than as 1 person. If you get no where then yes go the BOE. Teachers are supposed to set the example and name calling and putting children down is not an example I want being set for my child. Our kids still have rights even though they are just kids and it sounds to me like the teacher is a bully!! Does the district have a zero tolerance for bullying??

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Go straight to the principal with your concerns, talk to other parents of kids in the class or past parents, go to the school board if you have to.. I have been there and done that.. It works and trust me if that teacher gets enough complaints from parents he/she will be removed.Get involved and have plenty of other parents join you.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 11:50 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Go to the principal. That teacher is a bully and needs to be out of the classroom.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:50 AM on Sep. 20, 2010