my son was diagnosed with a lactose intolerance when he was 13 months old, now he seems to have an intolorance to soy milk... has anyone else had this problem?

He is now 21 months old and has constant diarrhea. He gets no dairy product at all. He also eats 3-4 bananas a day. We have had tests run and everything comes back normal. He is the best eater I have ever seen and never complains of his stomach hurting. Dr doesn't want to do an allergy test because his only symptom is diarrhea. He is gaining weight consistently and is growing just fine?

whitneyhill08

Asked by whitneyhill08 at 10:45 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son can't have regular milk or soy milk..I used to give him Lactaid, and still do on occasion, but milk isn't all that necessary, they can get the calcium other places just as easily.
    CrnchyMamaCraig

Answer by CrnchyMamaCraig at 10:50 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• usually if it's a milk allergy then it's a soy allergy as well. Try rice or almond mild
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:59 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My son was diagnosed lactose intolerant and he was allergic to soy formula as an infant. He was rice milk and potato starch formula for a while. He is now 9 yrs old and has no problems with cows milk or soy based products, even though he could not tolerate them as an infant. If your child is growing and thriving, then you should use your best judgement.

At 21 months old your son should be able to get plenty of calcium without needing soy or lactose. Research non milk products that are rich in calcium and help supplement his diet with those.

Also bananas can cause diarrhea. You may want to look into whether or not the increase in bananas is helping or hindering. While they are used in the BRAT diet for dehydration, the combination of the rice applesauce and toast are also what binds, while the  is more to replace potassium.

ivy102381

Answer by ivy102381 at 11:04 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Edit to above:

while the banana is more to replace potassium.

ivy102381

Answer by ivy102381 at 11:06 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• A lot of times if kids can't handle milk, they can't handle soy. Usually that is found in protein intolerances or allergies though, not lactose intolerance. Are you sure it was a lactose intolerance and not a protein intolerance? My son was taken off milk due to a protein intolerance and then took off soy as well b/c he had bad diarrhea from it and it did clear up once he was taken off it. But due to other issues my son was put on a medical formula as a replacement. But I was told rice and almond milk are good alternatives.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 11:31 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• thanks for all the advice... i just got another call for my pediatrcian and one of his cultures came back salmonella... he's had diarrhea for almost a year now and they have just now decided to test for salmonella.. dr said it has "stationed" itself in his liver or gallbladder causing the chronic diarrhea... we started antibiotics, let's pray they reslove the issue without surgery.
    whitneyhill08

Comment by whitneyhill08 (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Glad you got an answer. Good Luck to you and your son.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• you can try almond milk. mine loves it. :)
    connorlove

Answer by connorlove at 3:38 AM on Sep. 22, 2010