How do you teach social skills to a 7 year who is an only child?

My 7 year old has a problem of invading other children's and adult's personal space. He is just trying to get them to interact with him but is going about it all wrong. his intentions are good, but he is very annoying.

elaine64

Asked by elaine64 at 8:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughters teacher would make her write this 5 or 10 times so I hung it on the wall Now when she interupts or goes on and on I'll tell her do you need to read your pledge? (It goes) Learning self control is one of the most important lessons I must learn. I am responsible for my own behavior. In the future I plan to change my behavior so that I behave appropriately..... I know it has big words I had to read it to her at first and make her repeat but now she knows it by heart and hates it but it works.okla mom
    bunco

Answer by bunco at 4:18 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• sit him down and explain it to him, he's old enough to understand. explain that it's rude. try to get him into groups, clubs, etc... to be around other kids his age and he'll see how they interact.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 8:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• explain what he's doing wrong and tell his friends why he does it and to tell him he's too close. wiht everyone telling him, he'll get it. plus the other kids will be a little more understanding.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:48 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• You've already done the most important thing... you've recognized the problem. Parents often don't see it when thier child doesn't have strong social skills. When he's around other children point out how they interact with each other to him. You can also role play with him for practice. Be sure to praise him (maybe privatly) as he improves and point out how other people respond to him when he is less demanding.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I am so grateful this question. I think it's an only thing. My child is 5 and does the same thing at home, to us, to friends, whomever. We are teaching him what is "appropriate" touch...and that isn't just the good touch/bad touch speech. But "personal space" and respecting a person's boundaries is just as important. Jumping on people and getting in their face is annoying! Keep an arms length away from people to respect their boundaries.

shortcut

Answer by shortcut at 3:47 AM on Jul. 5, 2008