how can i get my son potty trained?

my son just turned 3 yrs old and i want him to go to the potty. he will come to me after he already went in his diaper. what did you do to get yours potty trained?

wildcatsgurl06

Asked by wildcatsgurl06 at 10:52 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This is what I did and my kids were trained in 3 days - I waited until they turned 3. Then go to the store with him and buy a lot of big boy underwear. Get all the characters that he loves. Wait until you have 3 full days to devote to this. Don't leave the house. The day before say "Tomorrow you will wear big boy underwear!!! Yay! We are so proud of you!!" The next morning put him in undies. Take him to the bathroom every half hour or so. Be very positive. Don't yell for accidents. He will have some. When he goes on the potty make a big fuss. You can put him in pull ups at night. That comes later. The next day should be much better. He will even be able to tell you when he has to go. But still take him every hour. The third day will be even better. My kids were trained by day 3. The important thing is to never go back to daytime diapers no matter what. Good luck!!!!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:58 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I let my son take control of the whole potty training. I told him when he was ready, let us know. He came to us 2 months later and potty trained within a week. He had it down at night, day, etc all within a week. He was 3 years and 2 months when he trained.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I used the book PottyWise. My 2 year old was potty trained in 4 days. She is almost 5 now and has had minimal accidents. Its amazing! good luck!
    Bugs0506

Answer by Bugs0506 at 11:57 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I did essentially what "mompam" did but before we started, we use to put him on the potty once a day until he got the basic idea and typically peed. Then moved on to putting him on the potty every 45 minutes. If he peed, we celebrated. If he didn't, we tried again every 10 minutes until he either peed or had an accident then started the process again. I let my son go naked the first day as it made it easier for him to go on the potty by himself. Day 2 we added underwear. We stayed in for 3 days but I did use a pullup if we had to go out (to make it less stressful for both of us). However, I will note that 5 months later my son is just starting to realize when he needs to go so we've had to continue to take him regularly (but at longer intervals).
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:02 PM on Sep. 20, 2010