Has anyone had this happen after giving birth?

I have had 5 pregnancies. My 3rd pregnancy I had pre-eclampsia and delivered at 31 weeks. After I was discharged, I developed a bad headache. We returned to the hospital the next day, where I was readmitted. I then seized, quit breathing, and spent time on lifesupport—4 days. And I spent 3 weeks in the hospital on IV meds. They found I also had endocarditis, bacteria on the heart. (I also have a heart condition and lupus) The think the infection came from a dental appointment. I had IV meds for another 3 weeks at home. My question is: Has anyone else had eclampsia this severe?

lindseywhitaker

Asked by lindseywhitaker at 10:33 AM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• No, they delivered my girls before it got that far. My bp was 154/100 and I was just starting to get protein in my urine.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:09 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Let me clairfy...I seized and everything AFTER I had given birth and been discharged. My BP had gone down and the protein stuff was better. (I got re-admitted)
    lindseywhitaker

Answer by lindseywhitaker at 11:30 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• you are very lucky!! a girl that i was friends with had her daughter and was sent home ect... didnt go back right away had a sezuire at home and was on life support and in the end passed away!! she had preclampcia.. i think u are very lucky to still be around count ur blessings!!

navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 1:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Your seizure didn't come from the eclampsia...it came from the infection around your heart. You can't have those problems from eclampsia after the birth, birth cures it.
    Anonymous

• Actually, birth does NOT always cure it. Eclampsia can stay in your system for several weeks or even months, after you have given birth. I talked extensively w/my perinatologist (high risk specialist).
    lindseywhitaker

Answer by lindseywhitaker at 8:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2008