Why are ppl so freaking rude? I just started working in retail & I wonder ....

Who raised some of these freaking people? Rude, Rude, Rude!
I would be ashamed of myself if I acted in this manner to anyone!
If "they" only knew how the ppl behind the registers felt about them It would shock the piss out of them!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Some ppl just don't care how rude they are!! Its like a HIGH that they get when they are rude to other ppl.. Kill them w/ kindness.. It always works for me!! :D
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 10:59 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I here ya, I worked at walmart for a while and wow, one lady rammed me with a cart once and all you can do is smile and say "have a nice day"
    I also felt sometimes that they thought they were better than me,, I just told myself Im not the one putting myself in credit card debt :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Oh, I've hads my share of that between retail and restaurants. Its crazy how some people think they can act like that! Like the above answer, kill them with kindness, don't let them get you down!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Do you really want to know why people are rude or are you just ranting? The Q&A forum on CafeMom is not for rants. That's what journal posts are for...I'm NOT being rude. I know that you will probably interpret my comment that way, though.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Retail is HARD...and really, you have to stand there with a smile on your face and take it, or risk getting fired for being rude back. I worked retail for a number of years...never again.
    JillianMomOf3

Answer by JillianMomOf3 at 11:49 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• That isn't true. You don't have to just take it. People in general are stupid. Just like in the movie BABE... speak slowly so they will understand.
    I work in special services at a major store. I deal with stupid complaints all the time.
    Yesterday for example. This guy threw a major fit because we didn't have any more ads. Seriously, a name calling fit. HE WAS calling me a STUPID BITCH because we didn't have any ads. He threatened to go to our competition. I looked at him and said "Sir you are welcome to shop anywhere but here, as we don't put up with customers treating us like this." He got very upset and asked to speak with my manager.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I didn't know my manager was around the corner and was just waiting to see how I would handle it. He stepped out, said, "Sir, I will have security escort you out, do not ever come in here and insult my people again." On the way out, he told the guy oh and by the way we don't have any ads because THEY DID NOT PUT ONE OUT. Not only was the guy banned from the store he was made out like an idiot. I felt good.
    SusieD250

• oh, I meant to give something constructive too....
    No matter what people act like, no matter what they say, most of the times it isn't about you.
    They have personal issues and take it out on anything, it isn't an excuse, it is a reason. If you truly enjoy working with people (and for the most part, I do,) then learn to accept that your positive attitude can change their whole day. (For the most part of my day I do have a good attitude... really I do.....)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I know what you mean about rude customers. As a nurse, I deal with rude patients and families. I know they don't mean it. They are sick, they are scared, and they are unsure. Families are scared and angry. What gets me through that is I just keep being kind and let them rant. They feel better. Whether they apologize or not, I know it isn't about me.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 12:51 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I started calling people on it. If someone is rude to me I might say something like...Wow, Having a bad day?" I've called the pharmacist and the girl was so quick with me, as if I, the customer, was putting her out. In the past I would have gotten nervous and insecure. I don't do that any more. I asked her, "Did I call at a bad time?" It's amazing how their attitude changes and they actually start stumbling over their words. Of course, I'm kind when I do this. It really works...kill em' with kindness. Life is too short to let someone elses misery bring you down.
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 2:04 PM on Oct. 19, 2008