Did you know this?

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – "The recession ended in June 2009, making it the longest downturn since World War Two, the National Bureau of Economic Research said on Monday."

The NBER, considered the arbiter of U.S. recessions, said it chose that month based on examination of data including gross domestic product, employment and personal income.

Feel better now? Are they kidding? Unemployment filings are bad now and was worse in 2009. Is there any point in even announcing the recession is over and if it was over a year ago, why are we just now hearing about it?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 11:15 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I actually read this about a year ago. We were dicussing it in one of my graduate Economic classes.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:18 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Well if it's over why can't I find a job?? and why does it seem to be almost as bad as it was a year or so ago?
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 11:18 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I did hear mumblings of it but no one really tried to convince the country of it because they wouldn't be able to do it. I guess they are putting it now because of the election coming up.
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Thank goodness they are here to tell us that it's all good now! Wonderful, I don't know what all of the unemployed are complaining about. I guess they didn't get the memo.

Does anyone else feel a congressional pay raise coming down the pike? 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:24 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• and another one started on July 1, 2009?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:28 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• It is crazy how this makes no sense! My DH was laid off in 09 and got called back in May. His company now is crazy busy. I work in an industry that is sooooooo not a necessity...swimming pools, and I could hardly be in my office enough hours of the day. Yet I look around and still tons of people out of work, closing business etc. I think unemployment is still very high. I think they are crazy to say it is over. It may be improving in some areas...but far from over!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:37 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Yep convince all of those who cannot find jobs..all of those applying for PA for the first time in their lives..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:39 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• It is. Unemployment is the last to turn around

many other indicators have become better. Its slow but its getting better

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:50 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Apparently Michigan is no longer part of the US 'cause the recession is still alive and well here.

Just ask my 15% pay cut.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2010