My 3 year old is still clinging at drop off to preschool. How can I help?

My 3 1/2 year old started all day preschool on 8-30. Before, that he was in full time day care. His day care was basically one big room in his provider's home.
The first day of preschool went great. No crying, no fussing. He was like "See ya. I have toys to play with and friends to meet." The next 3 days he cried at drop off.
He's not crying anymore but he's still a little clingy. Thank God my husband does drop off b/c I'm not sure I could handle it, LOL. "I don't want you to go Daddy. I want to go with you." DH is firm but loving and tells him he must go. Once DH leaves, DS is fine.
Is there anything I can do to help him get over the clinginess? I thought about a reward chart. If he lets Daddy go without a fuss every day for a week, he'll get a reward? Or daily?
Thanks in advance!

mrsderekjeter

Asked by mrsderekjeter at 11:20 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't do a reward. Clinginess is normal. As long as he's fine after DH leaves, it's ok. He will grow out of it. It's only been a couple of weeks.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:22 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• He will probably get over it on his own. Just keep doing what you are doing. Just drop him off with hugs and kisses and tell him to have a good day.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:22 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I would praise him for being brave, but the only other thing you can do is leave with a smile, so he knows everything is ok, and kis and leave quickly. The longer you draw it out the worse it is for him. He will slowly get better, as long as you don't feed into his behavior.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 11:23 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Thanks everyone! I am usually into "do your job". Going to school is his "job" right now. So, you're right. Maybe I shouldn't reward.
    mrsderekjeter

Comment by mrsderekjeter (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I agree don't reward. It's so normal. As long as his day AT pre school is going good, you have nothing to worry about.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Thanks! I really appreciate the feed back. We'll just keep doing what we're doing and give it some more time.
    I'm sure the school seems very big after basically being in one room for his whole life. LOL!
    mrsderekjeter

Comment by mrsderekjeter (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• THis is normal. He is adjusting to new school, new schedule, new everything. I would give him one hug, one kiss. Walk out. He will get over it in time. good luck!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:06 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I agree with the others. Just keep doing what you're doing. I found my son was less clingy if I made a really quick exit. A quick goodbye kiss and I was out of there. Any lingering just made the matter worse. The fact that he's fine once you leave says this is mostly an act so less attention to it is better.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:05 PM on Sep. 20, 2010