My 29 month old is starting to try me in public...

I don't want to give him a spanking inside a department store but he tries me because of that! He'll cry loudly and it angers me because he's looking right at me when he does it! This is new behavior and he has been around my friend's 30 month old who is totally disobedient but I will not blame this entire thing on her. What can I do? Talking isn't seeming to help and I don't wanna look like "monster mom".

His_Mommy26

Asked by His_Mommy26 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would rather look like a "monster mom" and take control back than to hand my control over to my child.

He needs to know that you will drop everything, even leave your whole shopping cart full to take him out to the car for a spanking or even to leave completely

He needs to know that "mommy dont play that...lol. And no talking rarely works with a 29 month old.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:44 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I took him to the car and got those legs! But I want him to associate the punishment with the offense, so I guess it's time to carry the belt in the store with me. Thanks though!
    His_Mommy26

Comment by His_Mommy26 (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• it is an age thing, they push to see how far they can get and what they can get away with when mommy is otherwise occupied. Be consistant, punish him the same way that you would if he did something at home. Don't cave to him because that is teaching him that he can get what he wants my misbehaving in public. I would much rather see a month properly dicipline her child in public than see her let him get away with it because she doesnt want him to make a scene. I know it is diffcult to be consistant in public but you have to stand your ground, don't worry about what other people think...nobody is going to say anything as long as you aren't screaming at him and beating him ;) and if they do it's probably because thier child is bad in public and they are jealous that you are a good enough mom to be able to control your child
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 11:50 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Thank you. These answers are giving me that boost I need. People tend to intrude up here and stare. I'm gonna nip this in the bud though. I don't want him to do what he sees.
    His_Mommy26

Comment by His_Mommy26 (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• so I guess it's time to carry the belt in the store with me

Please tell me that you aren't using a belt on a 2 year old. Anyway, I don't spank but use time outs. I don't care where we are, the punishment that she gets at home is the same in public. I don't change my shopping just because she is having a fit. It just makes shopping longer. I will not let her mood dictate me leaving a store.
    I have read many food ingredients while she sits in time out in the middle of an asile. I would rather someone see me showing my child that her behaviour is not appropriate than to let her run the store wildly.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:55 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I don't use it on him but when he sees it makes him calm down. I'm glad not spanking works for you but I do and will continue to spank. I don't change my shopping either but like I said, I will get this under control.
    His_Mommy26

Comment by His_Mommy26 (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Sep. 20, 2010