How do you get a child to go to school, when they claim they are sick

I have a son who I cannot figure out if he is sick or just does not want to go to school. We have spent countless hours in the ER and doctors. They cannot find anything wrong.
I am concerned about his health, but I am also concerned that he just does not want to go. I am in close contact with the school, so please dont tell me to talk to them, it hasnt helped.

bcnul8a

Asked by bcnul8a at 11:45 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Kids' Health

• is he being bullied or teased? Is he having problems with his school work?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:46 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I guess my mom's rule growing up was that if you don't have a fever, and you aren't puking, youre going to school whether you like it or not
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I was going to suggest talking to the teacher. Sounds like something is going on there.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:48 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• No fever, no staying home, period. If there aren't any visible symptoms, like with a cold, cough, etc, then there's no reason they can't go to school. You have to use your best judgement. If the Dr's can't find anything, then your son has become a good actor,lol..... Stop giving in Mom, he thinks he has one over on you because he doesn't want to go to school...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:49 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I'm guessing that he is struggling with his schoolwork or he is being bullied.

Talk to him about what's going on, and set firm rules in place about not going - no fever/puking, he goes to school. Let him know that you can't fix whatever the problem is if you don't know what it is.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:51 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• He is very overweight, and claims he has lots of friends, but he never leaves this house with anyone besides me, or his father. I believe that he just wants to come/stay home to play video games. I told him that he was NOT missing one second of school this week. His birthday is Sunday, so I believe he will make it all week. I pray that he really is not sick. One day I made him stay at school, and he got home, and threw-up!!! Then I felt bad. But every other time I have let him come home early or stay home, he miraculously feels better, we are even scheduled to have a colonoscopy done. I would think that would cure him of "lying" about being sick....hopefully before the scope, because I really dont want him to go through that!!!
    bcnul8a

Comment by bcnul8a (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I agree it can be hard to tell. One time my son told me he didn't feel good and he didn't have a fever so I sent him to school. He had had blood tests taken at the children's hospital the day before. They called me and told me to rush him to the children's hospital ER right away, that he needed IVs. I felt so bad that I had to go get him from school to rush him to the ER that I forgot my purse at home. It took a long time at the hospital and I had all three of my kids with me and we were so hungry. The hospital gave us vouchers so we could eat in the cafeteria. My son only went to school for part of a year. We homeschooled.  I had been in and out of the hospital several times that year and it was easier on my ex and his wife to watch them if my son went to school.

The school will call if he gets sick.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:56 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• just make him go anyway on the premise that if he still doesn't feel well, ask to go to the nurse and if she says they can go home, I'll come get them.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:05 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• If he hates school, consider online schooling or homeschooling. In AZ kids can do online schooling for free and even get a free laptop. Go to school and hang out and see what it's like. I can understand kids not liking it. I loved school. I had horrible parents and it was a way for me to get away from them. However, it's normal for a kid to hate school. School should not be a battle. He could be sick.

You can change him being fat and spending too much time playing video games. Control the food that comes in the house and take him on outings that involve exercise. Try to get him involved in sports. Play golf and tennis with him. Take him to family swim at the Y. Go camping. Have him join Boy Scouts. Get the family eating healthy. Change the family's lifestyle. These are some ideas.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:07 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i tell my kid go to school,, and if u still don't feel good after lunch call me and i'll come get u... but by then they seem to forget ....
    lol so guess they just didn't want to go....
    Cynt1020

Answer by Cynt1020 at 12:54 PM on Sep. 20, 2010