DS games for 8 year old

My will be 8 next month and we are considering a DS for him. Any recommendations on the best learning games for a child this age?
thanks

virginiamama71

Asked by virginiamama71 at 12:03 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• You mean a nintendo DS?

Really the nintendo ds doesnt have any true learning games....they are more just for fun games...but I still think they learn skills from them...spacial skills...hand eye coordination and thinking out problems.

My son is 7 he loves his :) He likes the new Toy Story 3 game....and the Carnival Games is an older game but such a good game to start off with!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:06 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I agree with above, the DS is for fun, not learning. Unless the learning is how to play a DS.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:15 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• You can do a search for DS games online and it will give you a full list. See the ratings and what he is interested in.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:18 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• As previously posted, I dont know of any learning games. My 8 year old DS loves the Mario Brothers and Sonic games.
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 12:41 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Learning.....just how to game......killing and fighting seem the theme. My kids are way into Lego batman, Lego star wars......it figured they were making the toys that the destroyed......I moved them to the wii system so I could see what they were doing and it is easier to cut them off......my kids can become darth vadar and pretent to strangle people......so messed up.

The jumpstart wii games are nice....like the computer.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• There are several learning games for the DS you just have to look, my DD has many, including Math, science, and English.
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 6:38 PM on Sep. 20, 2010