How can I handle my crying 4.5 year old during her soccer game?

She starts great in the game. She is excited then something happens like she falls or someone else scores and it sends her into crying fits running off of the field...over and over again.

Bugs0506

Asked by Bugs0506 at 12:05 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe she just isn't ready yet. Give her a break and try againg next year.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Like I told you before,she's not mature enough for team sports. Its not like this is a required activity. Give it a year and try again.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• She is just a toddler! Just kidding. I would see how it goes for a few more weeks, then take her out if she really doesn't like it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• She is still young enough to be in the "all about me" stage. She doesnt understand there are other players who want to win and feel sad too...she is only concerned with HER feelings. Totally normal for her age.

I would try practicing with a board game with her....when she looses or misses something on the game SHOW her how to react appropriatly by saying..."oh man, I wish I had won that...oh well, I will try again"

Modeling is the best way for her to learn. some kids have a harder time with it than others.

If she doesnt get better I would pull her out and let her mature a bit more before starting competitive sports :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:10 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• She doesn't sound emotionally mature enough to play yet. Has she been in school or anything? Like learned to share and do with other kids with you not around? I would wait until next year and after she has been through kindergarten first maybe.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• She's not ready.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:41 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Maybe she does not like or not ready. My 4 year old plays soccer and loves it. He has played since he was 3 years. He also attends preschool as well. So sharing,etc is required there and at home.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:03 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• IMO she's not ready for team sports yet. I would pull her out after explaining to the coach why you are, and then try again next year maybe
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 1:59 AM on Sep. 21, 2010