Do You Go Overboard With Your Child's Birthday Parties?

For chucks and giggles, my husband and I made separate lists of "things to do" for my daughter's 6th birthday party that we're having here in a few weeks. On my long-as-your-arm list, I had stuff like "Make a Spongebob's House pinata", "Arrange a 'dig your own shells' sandbox" and "make homemade pizza for 20". His list consisted of "send invitations to school" and "buy a cake with her name on it". I think he's not really trying. He thinks I'm insane to do more than the bare minimum.
Do you travel to OCD Mega-Momland with your birthday party plans? Or are you of the "The kids won't care either way and I'm not going to stress myself out" sort?

Fistandantalus

Asked by Fistandantalus at 12:13 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I always go overboard.. SO any everyone else thinks I'm crazy because chances are they won't remember it. But I can't help it. I want the best for my babies.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 12:17 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I just invite the family, about 4 other people, making it 9 people for my daughter's birthdays. We make deli sandwiches, make home made chips and make punch.
    We used to have large parties, but it was pointless and expensive. Plus my daughter asks for just her family and one friend.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 12:18 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I went over board for 7 years straight, I had parties for both of my daughter that consisted of carnival rides and carnival foods, they were Halloween costume parties and i dressed p as a cop with baton and cuffs to keep over 60 kids in line, I loved every minute of it, and the only reason I stopped was because my dad who helped me with these died unexpectedly. After that it was a painful reminder he was gone.

Answer by older at 12:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Funny you ask this, as today is my son's 11th birthday. I don't do a big deal every single year, but told him he could have bigger celebrations on his tenth (last year he had ten friends and a pinata, cake and ice cream, etc), and 13, 16, and 18. For this birthday, we let him invite three friends for a sleepover on Friday night. Oh my, that was insane. One kid put a hole in my wall. I ordered pizza and made a cake and the kids played video games so I didn't spend much and didn't have to do too much, other than not get any sleep all night. lol. Tonight we are going out for dinner as a family and I am taking cupcakes up for his class in a little while.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Right now my kids are only going to be 2 (23rd) and 1 (Oct. 28th), so their birthday parties are the bare minimum. However, when they start going to school I will start getting into the depth of the true kid's party deal. Meaning, decorations, big cakes, games, etc. Because I figure we'll invite their class and just go all out. I really want my kid's birthday party to be something they remember each year. Something that makes them feel special and appriciated.

My birthday is on December 27th, which was the day we left Grandma's house in Indianapolis and drove the Long, long trip back down to Winter Park, Florida. It wasn't intentional for my parents to make that day the travel day, but due to work schedules and what-not that had to be the day. Therefore, my birthday was always spent on the road. Which was fine for me, but for my kids I really would like to go all out.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I let my kids choose what they want for their birthday. The older kids usually have a sleepover, they can invite as many friends as they want to - the only condition is that they have to devise the menu and activities. (I give them some direction.) My DD will be 11 this week, we are taking 3 of her friends to build a bear and out for dinner. Afterward, we are having cake and ice cream at home with friends of the family. It's what she wants. My DS 2.5 birthday is 12/27, we have had a tropical theme for the last two years, I take down all of the Christmas stuff before his party.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:32 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• my kids are 4 and 2 and i havent went overboard with their parties..we have had a few just with family and then we have had a few at chuck E cheese..so nothing big yet but after they start school...i might have a few parties for certain ages...idk lol we will see...
    Brittney20

Answer by Brittney20 at 12:39 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't say I go "overboard" I don't rent ponies or circus clowns or anything like that > I do plan things to do, I do have themes. I think what you have here a mars VS venus type thing. he has the basic idea, you have the rest of it. Kids like to have some free time at parties and some planned things to do.
    have fun
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 1:02 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I certainly did when they were younger. And loved every minute of it. They deserve it and have such a great time
    batjmom

Answer by batjmom at 1:13 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I'm waiting to go overboard when my daughter's been in school for a little while. I don't like the idea of spending so much money for birthday party decorations and food if no one is going to show up.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:33 AM on Sep. 22, 2010