What should he be learning about right now?

My son just turned two in June. He knows his basic colors, he can count to 5, he knows most animal sounds/actions, he struggles with the alphabet but were still working on it, he knows about god & jesus, he knows everyday items/actions like potty, juice, milk, playtime, naptime, ect. Ive been trying to work on teaching him these things, but feel like theres stuff I should be teaching, and I think im leaving out. What does your child know at this age? Is there anythiong, or advice about how to go about teaching him anything else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Teacher here : First off RELAX :) The number one rule of kids his age is "kids learn through PLAYING"

Dont push, he will push back and then you have a problem on your hands. Academically he sounds right on track or even a bit ahead.

My other bit of advice would be get him out of the house :) Let him explore a hands on museum...take him to the mall to explore, talk to him...take him to the library for reading time and to play....make it fun...he is learning without even knowing he is learning...and that is the best way!

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:29 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• just kep having him count high when going to kindergarden they want them to know how to count to at least 10 or more, ABC's there name, address, phone, your name dads name how old they are, when is there birthdy and phone num. Anything else u can throw in there is just better for them hope this helps..P.S. I am sure I lest a few things out my yougest is 10 so it's been a few years and they change things all the time. U can call the school u might think they will go to and ask them what do the kids need to know they will tell u. P.S.S Have all shots done big thing schools want all kids to have shots..Hope this helps
    seabrezze_11

Answer by seabrezze_11 at 12:32 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I agree with mom2twobabes, relax he is doing great. My daughter is almost three and knows a little bit more. She learned it from her sister, songs, Sesame Street. We are working on swimming, dance, and bike riding, she loves it except for the falling parts. I just try to expose her to many different things; the YMCA, library reading groups, the park. We talk about things she sees, read often, sing songs. Fun art projects for his age group would help to stimulate him, and work on fine motor skills, think finger paint and macaroni. And to decorate the house, gives him a sense of pride and accomplishment, mine loves to point them out to me. I am also working on teaching my 2 yo to clean her room, put things away (cloths shoes toys) she helps me put the pots and pans away. Teaching her how to wipe her own bum, not very successful on that one, but we are getting there. Just enjoy hm wanting to be with you, that changes.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:56 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Some of the other books we read are about shapes and opposites. We also do a lot of pretend and imaginary playing.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 1:40 PM on Sep. 20, 2010