• In the Spotlight:

How is he picking this up?

Lately my 2 year old has been using the phrase "Oh my God" but I don't know where he really got it from. I'm sure I've said it before and I don't doubt he's heard it but it's not like he's around anyone who uses it repeatedly for him to really pick up on it. Or do toddlers really pick things up and use them constantly after just hearing it once or twice? Everything is "Oh my God". He dropped his book..."Oh my God" , we have to go to day care "Oh my God", I turned off the TV "Oh my God"...lol. It's almost funny but where is he picking this up??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• maybe he heard it at daycare, from you saying it once or tv and yes they do pick things up easy

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:38 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• From my own personal experience, all I have to do is say something one time and my son has picked it up and it becomes his new favorite saying. He is 2 1/2 now and you really have to watch what you say around him, also if he watches any tv, he can pick it up from there or anywhere really. Kids are so smart and at that age they are constantly learning.... It is a battle so don't say anything you don't want repeated.. Good luck :)
    ktlyn79s

Answer by ktlyn79s at 12:40 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• You can start saying Oh my gosh. Maybe he'll make the switch? My kids say that too.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:47 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• lol my dd says oh my gosh alllll the time. I said it once during a diaper change (for obvious reasons lol), and she seemed to like it.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 1:12 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• lol from what i know if a kid likes it they are gunna snatch it up and make it their golden saying from now on and forever. trying to change it up to something else. My son is odd though. I know i curse and sometimes i say things i wish i hadn't. things slip - but my son does not repeat... he's got a filter. it's almost something to brag about i'm sorry lol
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 1:31 PM on Sep. 20, 2010