MASTITIS/CLOGGED DUCTS

I HAVE GOTTEN A CLOGGED DUCT IN MY RIGHT BREAST ABOUT 7 TIMES IN THE LAST 6 MONTHS AND MASTITIS ONCE. I THINK I AM GETTING MASTITIS AGAIN! I DEFINATELY HAVE A CLOGGED DUCT AGAIN. WHAT IN THE WORLD AM I DOING WRONG? THE FIRST TIME I BREAST FED I DIDN'T HAVE THIS PROBLEM. THE LACTATION SPECIALIST SEEMS TO THINKIT IS CAUSE I WEAR AN UNDERWIRE BRA BUT THE CLOG IS AT THE TOP OF MY BREAST. ANY ADVICE?

JEN

myboogiewoogie

Asked by myboogiewoogie at 11:47 AM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can also use raw cabbage leaves for mastitis, leave on for 45 minutes, off for four hours. stop if it starts to affect your milk supply. try to air dry your breasts for at least 10 minutes after breastfeeding and try to use washable cloth breastpads rather than the plastic backed ones. While breastfeeding or pumping, massage the breast all over to work the different ducts, try different positions (football hold, etc). Be sure you are getting enough rest, also be sure if you are pumping that you are sanitizing all part of the machine, because bacteria may be getting introduced.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:03 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Hmm, that's a toughie. I also fought mastitis several times in the first few months of breastfeeding. The only think I found to prevent the clogged ducts and mastitis from returning is to make sure you breastfeed often... if your breasts are engorged or full, either breastfeed or pump. We have a very social lifestyle and with me always being on the run, I would prolong feedings..."Oh, I just feed him when we get home in 30 minutes." Well, just waiting that much, the milk would clog in my breasts. Annoying! I just ended up having to ALWAYS bring a hand pump with me. Also, make sure your nipples are dry... change breast pads often. I would get clogged ducts if my nipples were moist for 10 minutes. Anyway, hope SOMETHING helps... sorry you are having to deal with that! I know how painful it can be! Good luck.
    joshuasmommy327

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Underwire definitely can cause it. Take hot showers and warm your breast then try to work it out slowly and gently. Rub the lump in circular motions. You could also contact your local La Leche League leader and ask them for more advice. They are great at it. www.llli.org
    naturalhome

Answer by naturalhome at 1:43 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• i have heard that underwires can cause it but it also might just be that baby isn't draining the breast completely.
    are you watching the clock when you feed? by that i mean are you feeding for 15 minutes on one side and then switching to the other? it's important to NOT watch the clock. let baby finish one breast before moving to the other. in fact some babies only need to eat from one breast at a time it all just depends on your baby.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2008