What tests your patience quicker than anything?

For me, whining. The sound of someone's voice when they whine is like nails on a chalkboard to me. It takes everything in me not to lose my cool. My son is in a really bad stage of it right now (my cat is a whiner too, ugh) and it drives me nuts. I even had to walk away from him at school this morning. I mean normally I stay to help him wash his hands and I get him settled at the table for breakfast, but this morning I just gave him a kiss at the sink and left him in the capable hands of his two teachers (they were helping w/ the handwashing anyway). I think sometimes it's just best to walk away, LOL.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 12:42 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, you did do the best thing! For his sake and your own sanity! For me it's the (kids') fighting, which gets our dog barking too! I just want to run screaming out of the house! Then we have people who drive by w/ their vulgar music blaring, people who talegate (follow too closely) and the majority of the guests on the maury povich show! (LOL)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:46 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Whining - I don't allow it. When my children were younger, if they whined, I made them stop speaking, take a deep breath and start talking to me normal.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Disrespect/rudeness to adults.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 1:09 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• thats the biggest thing for me too... that and the, "mommy! she hit me!" "nuh-uh!" kinda bickering. grrrr. both of my daughters are whiners.... if i don't look straight at my daughter when she's whining she'll whine by SCREAMING, "mommy! listen to me!" guh!
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 12:45 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Whining too - my son is the king and It grates at my nerves - then again there's a mom on here who says that's just our parenting if our child is whining ....
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:55 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Definitely whining I can't stand it.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:07 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• whining is big. i tell the boy to use his words or nothing is going to happen - i dont understand the language of the whiner. or my son is for some reason a screamer... I guess i thought it was cute when he first found out he could do it - i swear i lost some hearing lol... now he is nearly three and some days i'd like to shake him. oh Please and understand that i am kidding. I walk a safe distance away and let him have his fit then pick him up and work it out... just before nap is the worst and there is not a whole lot you can do with a tired 2 year old who is too tired to figure out what to do next
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 1:25 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• When my kids were little, the whining really got to me. Now that they're teens, I can mostly just ignore it and walk away. But always and over anything else, lying was the worst thing they could do to me. The consequences for "doing the crime" were never as severe as the ones for lying about it. And they weren't very good at lying so they almost always got caught.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 2:09 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• With the little ones whining and acting up at the store are the quickest ways to irritate me, though tattling and intentionally pestering are quickly gaining ground. With my teen the two things that drive me over the edge are when she implies that she knows more than I do or when she ignores or tunes me out.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:31 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• When my son tells me no. He ende up doing it anyway after I give him "the look" but it is just a pain!!
    qustnmrk28

Answer by qustnmrk28 at 7:32 PM on Sep. 20, 2010