what do you count as welfare?

Full welfare? as in money from th state..
food stamps?
Medical?
WIC?
all of it?

ThePopeVI

Asked by ThePopeVI at 12:07 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• In my opinion. Please do read it right....: MY opinion... Everything that you dont earn yourself (which means: you get up to work and bring home the money by yourself!) is welfare.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• WIC is not a welfare program. Food stamps, medical assistance, housing assistance, daycare assistance and cash assistance are all welfare. That is not an opinion. That is fact.
    goddessmonica

Answer by goddessmonica at 12:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Food stamps, medicaid and money is welfare, WIC isn't welfare.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I don't consider WIC a welfare program. I don't consider child care assistance welfare either. Working families can qualify for these. I think people who plan more children when they receive any social services or child care assistance are totally irresponsible. If you cannot afford insurance, food, or childcare for the kid you have, don't make 3 more. It is common sense.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 12:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• All the above, except WIC. I don't have a problem with anyone using WIC, or daycare assistance for that matter. All the others, I do.
    Anonymous

• I think any assistance is welfare. For most people it says "I can't make it on my own right now and need help" It's the people who say "Give me, I don't want to work" who annoy me. And wanting to be a SAHM is not a reason to take welfare. I have several friends who would love to be SAHMs - but they work and make do instead of living off the people who do work.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Honestly, I think it's everything. Not that I find anything wrong with welfare, but anything that is provided by the state or government that you don't have to pay back to me is welfare. That includes medicare, social security, federal student aid, agricultural grants, business grants, and housing grants.  I notice on this site everyone mostly focuses on food stamps, but they are at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to welfare as a whole.

zianneaaliyah

Answer by zianneaaliyah at 1:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I am not trying to make anyone mad (I dont support McCain or Obama) but when I was trying to find stats about welfare I found this and got REALLY annoyed b/c I knew the pay gap is big and has been growing.
    http://steetsblog.blogspot.com/2008/05/mother-day-poverty-in-usa.html
    If everyone wants welfare reform how do we expect women to support their families if this is happening.
    Anonymous

• Women make less for the same work. On average, women who work full time
    all year only make $0.77 for every dollar their male counterparts make.

• The pay gap is even worse for mothers. Mothers only make $0.73 to a man's
    dollar and single mothers only make about $0.60 to a man's dollar.

Here is an exert, how can McCain not support changing this?

• Wage discrimination cuts across educational levels. For example, for workers
    25 years old or older who had some high school education, women's annual earnings
    were around $15,162, compared to $24,092 for men. But even earning a bachelor's
    degree didn't help. Women with a bachelor's degree made around $38,221 a year,
    while men at the same level made $55,425

Anonymous

• it's all redistribution of wealth.

getting something from the government simply by virtue of being poor is welfare.

things like college expense grants don't fall into welfare bc you are doing something in exchange for the money - going to college to better yourself and be a more productive member of society.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 2:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2008