how to deal with a 17 yo who thinks he knows everything and them some?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Provide only bare minimums. If you provide any of the following...take them away. No phone, no computer, no games, no fancy name brand clothes or shoes, no car, no car insurance. All those things are luxuries. Make him truly aware of the cushy life he has.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:51 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• make him get job .. and pay some bills .. treat him like a adult
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 12:46 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• The hardest thing for any parent to do, but sometimes it is necessary- just sit back and watch them succeed or fail. Provide only what is required by law, and of course continue to expect what you require as rules/requirements for living in your home. The rest, they are on their own. They will find out (maybe not right away) just how much parents do for them. Aren't teenagers great?! :) Hang in there
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:58 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Teach him the reality of life and what it means to be an adult. If you wants to act like one then treat him like one.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:44 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• You nod and smile and let them think that they know it all. As long as he isn't rude/disresctful, as long a he's doing well in school and as long as he isn't breaking the house rules it's a non-issue. At 17 they think they know it all and by 20-21 they know that mom & dad actually knew what they were talking about and they they didn't know it all. If he's rude/direspectful, if he's not doing wellin school and if he's breaking the house rules then you need to restrict him accordingly.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 3:33 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• If he/she wants to act like an adult then treat him/her like one.Your keys, your house tuff love one needs to have their own bills and living space to call the shots and make the rules.So imo it's time for him/her to go help them pack and pack only what they have purchased.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 12:54 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• boy do you have a problem . that is a bad age dealing with kids . they are not as grown as they think they are.You are not allowed to correrect them without getting arrested for child abuse . we are 14 percent unemployed in our area and the teenager i am dealing with is almost 20 and he will not get a job or cant get a job . sleeps all day and stays up all night and play videao games . daughter works at 4. am to 3 every day . so she has lost control of her young man .
    sugarsmom2

Answer by sugarsmom2 at 12:58 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Give him enough rope to hang himself with. :)
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 12:49 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• When my kids do this I start asking questions to help them see they really don't know all the answers. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm not mean about it, I just ask. Then I give them opinion and let them make their choice and face the consequences.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• 17 and knows everything. I have on of them. My son started at lot earlier than 17. I think he was born knowing it all. I find myself agruing with him sometimes on a constant basis. It annoys me so much especially when I know Iam right, I just leave the room. I feel like I am a child too. Arguing with a child, come on. Now dont get me wrong, my kids do not run the roost here, they know how far they can push it. But sometimes I just need a break, I sing going out of the room so I can have the last word, another pleasant habit my know it all son has. Best of luck to you. I did live through a teenager quite a while ago, she is 30. So hang in there mom.
    cmrbored

Answer by cmrbored at 9:29 AM on Sep. 23, 2010