Should we "Allow God in School"?

Sure, I have my own answer to that, and had posted a journal to explain it. This is a group on FaceBook and they are fervently seeking members to join their crusade. My question, of course, is why? Their rights to pray are protected under the First Amendment. My rights to not pray are also protected. What do they hope to accomplish by this group? Do they think that they can force all children to believe what they believe if they can bring

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 12:47 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think we should allow Him. We allow everything else, including other religions.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 12:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• In case you're interested, here's a link to my post. I have additional links in my journal to the Department of Education, which explains its position regarding prayer and religious expression in school.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Only if it's a private school owned by the church. If it's public hell o. It's the parents responsibility to teach the kids religion. Not our school system. I won't ever allow my children be forced to believe in a god. It's up to them not our government.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My son is an a public school and I feel like I would be pretty upset if came home and had learned about God. Which God would they teach about? Which religion? If they want to take the time and teach him about EACH religion that would be fine with me, but I don't want him thinking that there is a right and a wrong when it comes to religion.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:51 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• If they want to do a quick brief education about ALL religions, then fine. However, I think teaching/getting into the really religions stuff and breaking it down, should be kept in religion based schools. I think the public school system is lacking already. Budgets being cut, etc. They need to focus on SCHOOL. Religion can be done at home or in church.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 12:52 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• The second they try to force God as truth on my public school educated children is the second they will homeschooled.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:53 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I do believe he should be allowed for those who attend public schools and believe in God. He should not be taken out of schools
    sweet_mamaof3

Answer by sweet_mamaof3 at 12:54 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• The group is operating under the misapprehension that God has been taken from them simply because in more recent years public school has become a secular institution in order to comply with the Constitution and end discrimination and exclusion of other faiths. But you'll never gets those who support these types of groups to understand that simple and benign concept, because they believe it to be a direct attack on Christianity as a whole.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:55 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• See, I was thinking about allowing God in school if he needed to brush up on his Periodic Table, or learn the "New Math". . .
    jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I tried to find this guy on FaceBook to get his permission to quote him, but can't find him in a search. I attribute this quote to Adam Clark, whoever he is:

Christians need to stop acting like such victims. People who go to school are allowed to believe in whatever they like, certainly, but this isn't Iran, we don't live in a theocracy and god is not a topic that is relevant or pertinent (or even conducive) to a learning environment.

Besides, you're all religiocentric. If one teacher taught about Islam or Shinto in the classroom and claimed as "truth", there would be "controversy". To paraphrase Pink Floyd for a moment... Hey, Christians....... leave them kids alone.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Sep. 20, 2010