Do you think if people can afford to buy ciggarettes & alcohol they shouldn't be eligable for welfare assistance? adult content

Ive been out of the house for awhile, but growing up we were on every kind of "free money" my mom could get her hands on. She's an alcoholic, then & still today. My younger sister still lives with her, and I feel terrible cause she's going through the same stuff I did at her age. My mom gets perscription pain medication, sells and abuses it all. She makes an extra $800 a month just from that. It really makes me angry, ecspecially now that im grown with kids of my own. She spends all of the child support she gets to help her addictions. And my husband and I buy all of my sister's school supplies, clothes and needs. Its hard on us because I currently dont work, my husband is a history teacher, and thats the only income we have right now. I get so angry at her, and the government because theres so many people out there who take advantage of the system and they dont care.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• YES YES AND YES!
    My idiot brother buys ciggs all the time and he's not working or has a place of his own. He has one baby he never had taken care of and another one on the way but yet the state thinks he deserves almost $300 in food stamps and $200 on the cash side. It makes me so mad that he isn't getting prepared for this baby or giving his other babys mother anything.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:55 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Should they be able to, no. But it's impossible to monitor every purchase that is made. Just like there are people who need the system there will always be people who will abuse it too.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• YES!!! And I am on FS and my son is on Medicaid. I DO NOT buy cigarettes. I have bought wine coolers once and they are still in my fridge from nearly a year ago.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:57 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I don't think that there should be conditions like that placed on people who need help. My understanding is that you can't buy cigs and alcohol with foodstamps, which I think is a good policy. Beyond that? I don't want to see the government telling people how to live their lives.

I would vote for drug testing though, and a loss of benefits if they were found to be using illegal drugs or those not prescribed to them. Maybe we could get those folks some help instead on enabling them.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:58 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• wow. you just opened a huge ulcer... system sucks, people are irresponsible and addicted. what can you do?

however i do feel that all smokers should no be allowed to be treated for vascular or lung disease or illness until they quit. live how ya want, but i dont want to pay for it!
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 1:00 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Your situation is your situation, but I think the kids shouldn't have to suffer because of the parent's choices. I'm so sorry you have been put through this. I understand your frustration. You can't purchase alcohol and tobacco products with food stamps so at least they can only buy food with them. But it is however illeagal to sell your foodstamps to obtain these items.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I personally feel that if they can afford to buy alcohol and cigarettes, then no, they shouldn't be on public assistance or anything. Cigarettes alone are so expensive now.. Those are also not necessities, they are luxuries I feel and if you can't afford them then you don't need them.
    ktlyn79s

Answer by ktlyn79s at 1:00 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Absoulutely....I agree
    sweet_mamaof3

Answer by sweet_mamaof3 at 1:02 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I don't think that people who are unfortunate enough to need some help should be told what they can and can't buy. I mean, I don't agree with people going out and buying drugs under any condition, but people who smoke shouldn't get help? That's ridiculous!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:03 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• No conditions at all to be placed on people who need help. My understanding is that you can't buy cigs and alcohol with foodstamps, which I think is a good policy. Beyond that, I don't want to see the anyone telling people how to live their lives.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 1:04 PM on Sep. 20, 2010