Single moms...

How do you keep the balance? I'm also a student and when I'm doing homework, my 29 month old almost always drives a car in the middle of my book or asks me to put them down to give him affection or to play. I always do because I don't want to ever shoo him away too much but I'll do what I need to finish. How do you keep the balance doing things alone? Encourage us!

His_Mommy26

Asked by His_Mommy26 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I started by BA degree w/ a 13 mos old & another on the way. It was difficult, but I made it! You have to expect interruptions when they are up. I did a lot of my work in 20 min. intervals. I also had family or a sitter that I could leave them with if I needed computer/library time to work on a project. Utilize any help you can- see if your college has a low-cost or income based daycare. Good luck, and stick with it. You CAN do it!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:04 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• do as much as you can while he is napping. if you belong to the ymca, you can drop him off for an hour in the nursery and use the time to study. i usually stayed up an hour or two after he was asleep and studied then too
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 1:07 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i have an almost 3 year old and one on the way. I do my homework at night. like what Mrsmom said Utilize any help you can. it is hard but it is worth it. keep your head up you'll be fine
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 1:09 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Set a visual timer that you get your brain to yourself for so much time. Maybe 15 mins at first. Kids of single parents must learn autonomy skills early.....

I did flash cards, copied over notes and made voice flash points on I phone to use while I had kids ups....did reading before bed and again in am if I needed to coach myself more.

I treated myself as a special needs learner with my kids so full of interuptions....it took a lot more imputing info with kids....taxing little things when the brain is trying to learn something new.....but it can happen!
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:12 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Thanks girls!I started at an online university when my son was a newborn. I used to hold him then while completing assignments. I'm still at it but now he's vocal! It'll be fine. I just frustrated sometimes but don't want to hurt his feelings. I'm so sensitive about that because I remember feeling that other things were more important that I was. Thanks Moms! It's gonna feel so much better when I graduate!
    His_Mommy26

Comment by His_Mommy26 (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I studied when the kids were asleep. I learned to live on 6 hours of sleep. My kids never went to a day care center and I had no one to help. I even homeschooled. I started back to grad school when my youngest was 2. I loved it. I would usually be gone two nights a week. My youngest son had developmental delays and we qualified for respite care and our provider watched my kids while I went to class. This was before online classes.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:22 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I dedicate the time I get home from work until my daughter goes to bed entirely to her. Then I do my housework and reading after she goes to bed. On the weekends, I try to get her interested in a puzzle or coloring while I fold laundry or finish tasks.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 1:45 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I love these answers.
    His_Mommy26

Comment by His_Mommy26 (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I mostly do important tasks after my daughter goes to bed.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:03 PM on Sep. 20, 2010