Do you think I did the right thing? What would you have done? (long)

I have this car that was broken down, and it just wouldn't be worth the price to get it fixed so for the longest time I didn't do anything with it. Then a friend of mine who is a mechanic talked to me about buying it, we worked out a price and he told me they were tight on money, and asked if it would be okay if he payed half the money in a month and payed the rest the fallowing month, I said that would be okay, so four months later, he hasn't given me anymoney towards it, and hasn't so much as metioned it since, so one day my dh works out a deal and trades it in for something else that we needed, I figure the friend must not have cared to much about it since he hadn't mentioned it, so I didn't tell him about us getting rid of it, but today almost 5 months after we made the deal he callls and says he finally has the money, and I know he really need the car, I feel terrible

Liz132

Asked by Liz132 at 1:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• I wouldn't feel bad. he was the one who didn't follow through, and he can't blame you for taking care of your family when he was obviously doing the same thing. it's been like, what, 9 months? yeah, he should have at least kept you in the loop as to when he'd be able to pay.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 1:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• It's not your fault this person is in a bad place in life, i'm sure he can find another vehicle.. after all if he really wanted it he would had made an effort ;).. You did what you guys had to do!
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I think you gave him plenty of time to put down the 1st deposit. Sorry, but ya snooze, ya lose!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• You didn't do anything wrong. Maybe you could have called him prior to selling the car, but since he hadn't contacted you in so long I don't really think you were wrong in not calling him beforehand. You shouldn't feel bad.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I would just tell him that after a couple of months, you got rid of it. He had said he would pay 1/2 in a month. That time came and went so you figured that it wasn't going to happen so you wanted to get rid of it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• You shouldn't feel bad. It's life.... you snooze you lose. He couldn't expect you to hold onto it forever!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 1:15 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I would have given him a call 1st.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:17 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I would have called first and told them what your plans were.

If you took any money at all from them then you DEFINATELY owed them a call, but after reading this I think you hadn't yet?

I wouldn't feel so bad. He can take that money and go look for something else.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:18 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• If he really wanted it he should have called you about it. You could have called him, but you may have also been putting him in the awkward position of having to admit he couldn't get the money together. You can apologize for the miscommunication but other than that there is nothing you should have done differently. It's too bad it didn't work out but as long as you didn't sell it a month or two after talking to him when it was still within the time frame he gave you then I think you're in the clear.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• You should have called him 1st and told him you were going to trade it in in x amount of days and asked if he had the money yet. On that note, whats done is done and you had to get something reliable. Don't beat yourself up over it, he should have communicated better. By letting you know when he was going to have the money.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 1:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2010