Do you feel like a single mom?

I am married and happily married but my hubby works long hours so I feel like a single mom. Just wondering if anyone else feels this way.

sweet_mamaof3

Asked by sweet_mamaof3 at 1:15 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes, I am a stay at home mom. My husband works from 5:30 am to 4:00 pm. I have the kids all the time. We do not have a lot of family around to help us out so when I need a break I have to turn to him. He thinks that just because he goes to work for 40 hrs a week that when he gets home he does not have to do anything. I mow the yard to the dishes , Laundry well I do everything. He helps when he wants to or if I finally nag enough to get something done. I love him and my kids very much but it really is a lot to handle. I have been trying to find ways to help our relationship and fix the issue but i am at a brick wall and can not see over!!
    cally101123

Answer by cally101123 at 2:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I hear moms say this. I used to be a happily married mom with a husband that worked long hours, played golf, ect. We had 2 sons. Then I became a single mom. I had a son with my second husband and he was a premie and my husband did not want a defective son. He saw our baby once, filed for divorce and never saw him again. I have been a single mom 24/7 for 22 years now. I decided not to date. There is a huge difference between being married with a husband that isn't around, being divorced with a dad that does do visitation, being married or having a SO with kids by other men, and being a 24/7 single mom. You have no idea what it feels like until you are a single mom.  

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:29 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Yes. I do, and sometimes it really makes me angry.

For example, our two kids are sick right now. Yesterday my husband worked an overtime shift from 6-11am. When he came home, he spent the majority of the rest of the day on the couch, watching football because he was "tired" from work. Meanwhile, I dealt with diarrhea diapers from our two-year old and a five-month old with a fever. I appreciate that he works so hard to earn extra money for us, but seriously? I don't think he understands how exhausting it is to care for the kids like that.
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 1:24 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Yes. Esp. since I am the one who gets our child ready for school, takes her to the sitter before school on days I have to work too, picks her up after school, assists w/ homework, makes sure family is fed, laundry is done, Dr.'s appts are made/kept, etc, etc! It'd be really nice to have more assistance from the man who is supposed to be my partner and the other parent of our child!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• mrsmom ... I think we're living the same life! LOL
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 1:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I'm not saying one is better or worse. They are all different and some lifestyles appeal to different women.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:31 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• yes sometimes.bf works and i dont and he provides but doesnt do much with the kids like i need him to sometimes
    alyssa1

Answer by alyssa1 at 1:38 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Yes because I AM a single mom. I am divorced and live alone with my DD. Even when I was married, I never claimed to feel like a single mom. That was a concious decision I made regardless of the hours worked or the job entailed.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• yes, I have been single mom and am now married to a military man and am often in the position of single mom. Even when he is not away there are many times that he is gone before the kids get up and doesnt get home until they are ready for bed. It is hard especially when you know there is someone there that could help. I appreciate everything that my husband does for our family and understand that his job requires most of his attention. I try to make the most of the time that we do have with him and he tries to be understanding when i am overwhelmed with the kids and house. I think it can hurt more to be lonely when you are married sometimes than feeling lonely when you are single just because you know that you have someone but they can't be with you. hang in there momma, go out and do something to make yourself feel special :)
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 1:46 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• No because even when my dh isn't around I still have the extra income that a single mom would not , with out we could not live the life we do
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 1:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2010