How do I get daycare to nix the nap?

They have a strict schedule and it consists of 2 hour nap/laying down for all kids. My 5 yo is delayed so she is in daycare till I can get her in a special needs preschool (doing IEP's etc now). It will probably be another month or so before it is finalized.

Since she started napping it is causing nothing but problems at bed time. I never used day care before and not sure if this is something they will bend on or not. How do I approach it? There is no point in switching since she will be transitioning to preschool in afternoon soon. So the naps will go away.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Just talk to them. They want what is best for her too.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• They won't bend. It wouldn't be fair to the other kids.

The pre-school may make them nap too and so may kindergarten.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i would talk to them....
    Cynt1020

Answer by Cynt1020 at 1:22 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• They have a schedule and will stick to it. Most daycares will not bend the schedule for one child.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:24 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• all licensed child care providers are required to offer a "rest time", if she is falling asleep during that time then she needs the sleep
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• You can talk to them, but they probably won't bend the schedule. They would have to have somewhere else for her to go and someone to watch her while the rest of her class is napping/having quiet time.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 1:29 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I worked daycare in college. No matter what we had that 2 hour rest time. If a parent did not want their child napping, we gave that child books or coloring materials on their cot. That child did have to read/color quietly, and did have to remain on their cot. You can ask if that's an option.

I can understand your concern, for I cannot give my 4 yo a nap. Bedtime is terrible if she gets one. Her PT pre school doesn't do naps anyway.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:58 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• As far as I know it is a upper rule that they have to rest for at least 30 minutes. If the parents don't want that, they may request it and the child will be able to do activities that are quiet-puzzles, coloring, tv, painting, reading etc.... the daycare will be more than happy to do this for you.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Have them give her a rest period instead of napping. Then the child can do quiet activities at the table while the other children nap.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:02 PM on Sep. 20, 2010