Cereal issues. Can you help?

About a month ago, we had some gas issues with rice cereal. My baby girl was eating it just fine, swallowing fine and everything, but a couple hours after she ate it she had HORRIBLE gas, screaming in pain. Anyhow, pediatrician told us to try oatmeal cereal... so I've been trying the last couple days, and it all just falls out of her mouth... She doesn't even close her mouth usually. If she does, she just opens it again, and it all falls out or sticks to her tounge. I have tried closing her mouth and also putting my finger in her mouth so she will suck it down, but I have been unsuccessful. Is there anything else I can do to encourage correct eating again? I know she knows how, because she did it before... Weird... Please no comments on "she doesn't need cereal yet" or "dont force it", because it IS time, and she IS ready. She is definitely showing an interest in food... just cant quite grasp the swallowing thing...

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 12:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• your profile says your child is 5months old.. of course she is ready for cereal. :)

Try something totally different... no cereal... i used to give my little girl mashed carrots.. like really mushy... maybe you should just try something different to feed her. different taste, different color.

Right now i cant think of anything else. But i wish you good luck.. If she doesnt take it right now, then it could also be a phase. My daughter had a 2-3 week phase where didnt take anything to eat except a bottle with formula!.. it was annoying lol, because she was already on solid food haha.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• my baby had a gas issue after rice cereal and a major poop issue with really bad diaper rash after oatmeal. so i decided no more commercial baby food. i make all her food, even her rice cereal, I got the book Super Baby Food. It's the best!!! so for her cereal(untill youget this book) go get organic brown rice. boil 2 cups of water, and while that's going on, grind up 1/2 cup of the rice till it's dust. when the water boils, turn the burner to the lowest setting. sprinkle in the rice dust with a wire whisk. set your timer for ten minutes and wire whisk the porridge every few minutes. should yield about 6 servings of 2 tbsp each seving. now i usually add mashed bannana or homemade pplesauce in it, and for breakfast i add yogurt. she hasn't had any more gas issues since i started making her rice cereal myself. good luck
    livetolaughlove

Answer by livetolaughlove at 1:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Try another food. it doesn't have to be cereal... actually cereal isn't very healthy. Avacado is suppose to be a very good first food.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I want to second livetolaughlove. I make my DD's cereal with organic brown rice. She's never had anything differently. You can also do it with oatmeal and barley cereal when she's ready for those. I also make my own baby food, although she hasn't had any yet... I'm freezing it and stocking up. check out wholesomebabyfood.com. It's a great resource and explains how to make the various cereals.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 2:36 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• My daughter would never eat the cereal. She hated it. So we skipped it. We went straight to stage 1 baby foods.

Maybe your daughter doesn't like the texture or taste of the oatmeal cereal.

My daughter still kind of did the same thing with the whole not wanting to swallow thing, that went on till she was 7 months old. She just had a very rough time of getting the hang of it. We'd give her a break with it, and then go back, and one morning...she just got it! She's a great eater now!
    PoeDunkMae

Answer by PoeDunkMae at 4:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Thanks guys!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 4:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I added juice to my baby's cereal. He never liked it mixed with breastmilk or formula. And like the other answers said, maybe another type of food will be good. While I find nothing wrong with making baby food, the stage 1 fruits and veggies are made with just that particluar food and water, so they are easy on the stomach for babies.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 5:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2008