Is the recession over? Are they kidding?

The “Great Recession” has ended, officially.

At least, that's the word from the private research organization that calls the beginnings and endings of recessions, the National Bureau of Economic Research.

The NBER said Monday that the recession which began in December 2007 ended in June 2009, which marked the beginning of an expansion. The announcement rules out the possibility of a so-called “double-dip” recession, because any new downturn would be seen as a brand new recession.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 1:29 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Of course it's over. The mid-term elections are coming up and the dems are desperate to cling to their seats. So they have magically ended the recession in time to win your vote.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I can't imagine how anyone could actually look the middle class in the eye and tell them everything is fine.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:33 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• It's just the fancy semantics game.

Everything's better! didn't you read the report! don't fire us!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:33 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I think they are hoping that re-creating history will work in their favor in the mid-terms. Desperation is not a good look on anyone.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:53 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• So you mean to tell me the Great Recession ended in just .................18 months?
    And what is the average length of a recession?.....oh yeah....18 frickin months.................
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:37 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• The bumbling idiots at that institute need to change jobs and start right fairy tales!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:36 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• maybe for them it has! even when the recession has "ended" we will all have to try and climb out of this mass hole were in.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 1:55 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I'll believe it when I see it for myself
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 1:35 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• In the county I live in, we are number one in the state! --for unemployment. The number I heard for my county is 15%. Of course, this county has been this way for a while now, with 2 textile mills and some other factories closed down for several years. Most of the ones working, my husband included, go to other communities to work. So nope, the recession is still very much in full swing for us. The stimulus package got us work on our main road --they widened it, and there is very little traffic here. Hopefully though, things will pick up once the new prison is built here.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 4:02 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• not in our area they are still high unemployement . 13 per cent they said last night on the news . we have a stell mill that is not working . and so many other business are shutting down . one news is they are shoottong a movie in our town this week . brad pitt is directing this show . but other then that no jobs .
    sugarsmom2

Answer by sugarsmom2 at 1:34 PM on Sep. 20, 2010