What should I make?

I'm so dirt poor this month. (Property taxes are due. grrrr) I need a few economical meal ideas that are going to stretch for a few days. Any suggestions?

hopelessnance

Asked by hopelessnance at 12:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Food & Drink

• this time of year, i like to cook a lot of bean dishes -- pintos, northern, lentils -- if you mix in some greens (like spinach or kale) it's very nutritious and can be stretched for a few days. make some corn muffins with a jiffy mix (about 25 cents/box) and it will be very filling.
    SarahJean70

Answer by SarahJean70 at 12:49 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Macaroni and cheese is cheap, especially the store brand. It's great with mix ins, hamburger, hot dogs etc. Any kind of Pasta can go a long way. Soup and sandwiches, hot dogs & beans, breakfast for dinner, Ramen soup...here it's 5 @1.00.
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 1:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Make a big pot of chili....:chile with peanut butter sandwiches, chili over spagh., chili with Jiffy corn bread baked on top.

Fried Chix legs, I got 14 chix legs for under $5!!

I can get a frozen bad of chix strips for about $8, this serves several meals: fried chix stips, chix and rice, chix spagh...

Just some the meals I'm coming up with lately, my step dd, and 4 gd's have moved in!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 3:04 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Chili is a great thing! You can make a HUGE pot of it and it lasts for awhile! You can put it on hot dogs for chili dogs for lunch or supper, or just eat chili.

There is tator tot casserole as well, if you make enough it can last a day or two as well.

Soups are wonderful. You can make a huge pot of potatoe soup, or tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwhiches.

PoeDunkMae

Answer by PoeDunkMae at 4:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I love Shepard's pie this time of year. If you make a big batch all at once, it can last awhile! Plus, it is a good way to "sneak" in veggies like corn, carrots, lima beans, etc. I have also found that it freezes well. I like to make a big pot of chili that we eat off of for quite awhile. It goes really far when I serve it with grilled cheese sandwhiches. Cornbread is a great budget-stretcher and tasty too! You can also go to http://www.cookcheap.com for some ideas! Good Luck!
    ILuvMyBoyz0608

Answer by ILuvMyBoyz0608 at 3:31 PM on Oct. 20, 2008