Everyone complains about people living off cash assistance, but maybe our Child Support Enforcement system is to blame?

I just got back from visiting the local CSEA. My ex is working on being 4 months behind after getting caught up and that was done only because his income tax return was intercepted after 2 years of non-payment. You would not believe the craziness I have gone through to get this enforced. First, it took them 3 years to garnish his income tax return. Now we have to wait an undetermined amount of time before they will start any enforcement proceedings. Part of it is he has moved to another state that does not enforce support orders from other states very well. I am sorry it seems that maybe if child support was enforced better, maybe we would not have as many using public assistance and definitely not as many getting cash assistance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• AMEN...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 2:01 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• great point!
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 2:02 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I agree!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:03 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I actually did a research paper on this topic for a social work class. Its true it could help alot of women and children to get off any kind of assistance. Only 35 percent of children that are actually owed child support recieve it. Sad!
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 2:05 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• One of many reasons for the need for Govt. asst. This economy isn't helping either! It's ridiculous what these non-custodial parents can get away with- and sad too!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:05 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• In Michigan, if there is a child support order in place, even if you SO doesn't give you a dime, that amount is still calculated as income (even if you don't recieve it), leaving many "eligible" families ineligible.

PA is a terrible system. It's so messed up and dysfunctional, i think it actually makes peoples lives worse sometimes.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:07 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Totally agree. And the bio-dad of my daughter haven't paid any child support in TEN years, the only that I got was one year that they took his taxes. The child support payment was $30.00 every week. Two weeks ago they closed my case because somehow now after having three kids, went like two years to college and got in by pshycology, rob a bank, took money from some people, he got a way to get mentally dissable and now they can't force to pay child support. What do you think about that?
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 2:07 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I do not complain about people living off cash assistance.. I always help others in need so i do not have a problem at all. The child support system is not to blame either they have to have the correct info to make it work many times people give false info so it makes it hard to fine the people that own. . So i feel for both sides in this.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 2:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• People complain about people on PA but with the unemployment rate as high as it is if there wasn't PA how would people find jobs and imagine the unemployment rate. In some places it's 30% now.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• That's a really good point. I'd like to see CESA turned over to private companies and leave the state out of it. I bet they would do a better job at enforcing it. I know several people who have deadbeats that don't pay, and it seems like they are never caught.

Our CESA is seriously screwed up. We had an experience from the "other side" - due to a mess up, they said my DH was in arrears thousands of dollars. They took half of his paycheck for 4 months before they admitted their mistake. His ex was allowed to pay him back (via deductions from her support) over 3 years. If it wouldn't have been for me working at the time we wouldn't have been able to pay our bills.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2010