how long should i keep my son on one flavor of baby food before i can give him a diferent flavor?

i just started my son on baby food and the doctor says to start him off on one flavor first before i can give him another flavor.. how long should i keep him on one flavor before going on to a different flavor?

bby_sebastian

Asked by bby_sebastian at 2:03 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Doctors don't always give the best advice about infant nutrition.

There is no danger in letting your child try a variety of flavors and textures.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:04 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• We just went to table foods at 6 months. how old is your baby?
    I would start him on Veggies for a day or 2, then slowly add in a new food every other day??

It's really a personal choice. Do what you feel comfortable with.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:05 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• use one food for 3 days before you use something else. This helps introduce them to the child and determine if there is an allergy or not.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 2:07 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• There was a MEGA study done to evaluate all the studies about starting solids, allergies, and infant feeding practices. It was reported in Pediatrics, the journal for the American Academy of Pediatrics. The study found no reason to wait between introducing foods and no reason to wait after 6 mo on starting foods that were once delayed like peanuts. The things a baby under 1 shouldn't have are honey, cow's milk, and foods that are choking hazards. Of course you want all food to be healthy.

So the current recommendation for both formula fed and bf is 6 mo. There is no need for jar food, the baby can feed itself fork mashed food like sweet potato or banana.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• its mostley just to see if they have a reaction..to any foods i would wait just a few days in between just so if your lil one has a reaction you will know what caused it.
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 2:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I did the 4 day rule with my son. I offered a new food and if there was no allergic reaction after thr 4 day rule, I offered another new food. Once the one food is in the clear you can offer it when the new food if it goes well together! My son loved pear with sweet potatoes. Make sure you keep a record!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:20 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• thanks for all thee wonderful answers :).. i think immah wait 3 days before going on to the next flavor..
    bby_sebastian

Comment by bby_sebastian (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Sep. 20, 2010